Hmrc Scam

Guest peter2b2002

Guest peter2b2002

just had an email from service@hmrc.gov.uk asking me to fill out an attached form to claim back £178.68 from last years tax return, funny thing as I'm retired and was informed 2 years ago by the tax folk that I do not need to fill out a tax return how do I get a refund?

I will check with the tax folk in the am to double check, hand site for 0870/0845 Numbers is saynoto0870.com gives local numbers

peter2b

always check the return email address! sometimes they are clever and setup similar email addresses to the genuine ones but quite often setup hotmail/gmail accounts which always makes me laugh at why Natwest or whoever would be using hotmail as their corporate email provider ^_^

same with any links in the page hover over the link to see where it actually goes not where the link says it goes, before clicking on it.

hth

I had a similar email about tax credits saying to fill in the attached PDF, it was very convincing other then I knew it was suss due to the PDF.html attachment and they never used my real name on the email.

Did make me wonder where they got some of the info from though, did they ever find the lost tax CD's from last year?

just called HMRC this morning , yes it's a scam and they know about it they never ask for information via emails only by letter or phone

peter2b

Don't take telephone calls at face value, the wife had a call to her mobile the other day saying they were from T-mobile and as her contract was due to renew she could have a new phone and a great deal on the network. When she said ok they said all they needed was a card number to cover the £2.50 price of the postage and to check the I.D. of the person they were talking to?

The thing that made her think it was a scam was a telephone number came up on the screen, not the usual T-mobile.

At work we get call's all the time from people that pretend to be from BT etc. etc. but when you ask them out right they are nowt to do with them. The latest one was from OFCOM she mumbeled the fist line and said OFCOM about 3 times in the first couple of seconds when I said how do I know you are from OFCOM she said I am not, I told you I am from ******* telecom and just checking you are getting the best service.

DO NOT GIVE OUT ANY INFO OVER THE PHONE make them write to you.

Steve

Guest Ian & Carole
I always like to be helpfull and supply these sort of callers and emails with my ex wifes details. I'm sure it makes her chuckle. :)

Nigel

What a great idea :D well done Nigel always got a good solution to most problems B)