What Does The 2b Handling Compare To?

agent_zed

Hi,

i was just wondering what people thought of the handling of the 2b. I love driving my 2b but haven't really driven any other 2 seater sports cars to compare. What are peoples thoughts on this. Does it compare to say an mx5 or a porsche 911 B) (dreaming maybe?!?!?) or is only as good as a normal hatchback etc.

I know the front suspension setup is still being debated as there are geometry problems but that aside can it be said its a good handling car?

Seems good to me but iam not really a fast driver. I have had the backend step out on me a little but it was quite gentle when it let go and was easily caught, so iam thinking thats a good sign.

your thoughts welcomed

Guest trackerjack

If the 2B is like my S7 err not too good.

I have binned the Sierra ATB and fitted struts (big big improvement) which stops it hopping all over the road.

I find the car goes sideways quite well but would catch out a driver not used to oversteer.

I am looking forward to track daying the beast to iron out the faults.

I also think that tyre pressures are crucial and must be kept quite low (in the teens).

I am only making observations on my own car and I may be wrong!

Guest Tim Norman

Took me 9 years on and off to get my Cortina based S7 to handle like I wanted it to.

Front anti roll bar

Tie bars that were in the right position to aid weight transfer

Proper 5 link rear

Caster, camber and toe angles the same on both sides.

When I had it all sorted it put it to the test on a track day at Donington. All I can say is it took an Evo 6 laps to cath and pass me, and he only managed that on the last straight. A beauiful 4 wheell drift off the double apex on to the Dunlop striaght was a fantastic feeling. I had loads of people demanding to know what was under the bonnet as they couldn't believe the speeds I was holding through the corners. took an M5 on the inside of the Old Hairpin, flat in 4th.

I am now trying to get the 2b to handle as ths S7 did, still working on the anti roll bar location :wacko: steering geometry already sorted.

The 2b, if set up right, and driven right, will out handle all "ordinary" cars without breaking sweat.

Spot on Tim.

Its taken me almost 5 years of on & off tinkering & a reading a lot of book & internet articles to get here though.

On my novice track day (they wouldnt let me into the intermediate session as I'd had no previous circuit track days) at Brands, we had Caterhams, Westfields, several Lotii & some hot hatches.

With a tuned Pinto (136 bhp) & a good wishbone conversion the only things that passed me at all were Exiges, & then only on the straight. I was pretty much on a par with the Elises all round the circuit, & cornered quicker than anything else, but that was mainly due to TOYO 888s.

Now with 198 BHP, who knows :D

Bob

Guest salty_monk

Handling is reasonable. Good tyres make a huge difference. 888's will make a 5% saving in track lap time, good Gaz or similar shocks help a lot too.

Tyre pressure is also very important for the 2B should be about 19f 21r - set cold on the road, set hot at the track (cold this comes out to about 16-17f 18-19r but they will feel squidgy when cold at that (or at least both my cars did).

For a very direct comparison I ran the same track (Barkston Heath) about 7 secs a lap quicker in a sliding pillar 2b with Khumho tyres on it than a XR2i 1.8 Zetec (bog stock, also on road tyres - lots of brake fade!)

Dan :)

• 1 year later...

Lets put it this way, a bit of playing with the suspension good tyres and a good bit of confidence its pretty good, before the wishbone change it could under steer badly at speed when on the wrong surface, on the track it would drift.

Now they are replaced it is a lot lot better and thats with shagged gaz dampers. Be warned thou it can bite !