Which Cam? ...........

Shaft

Hi all. I'm after some advice please. What Cam would be best suited to fit into my engine i'm about to overall / rebuild?

It's a 2.0l Pinto, 205 block with EFi head (big valve type?? i believe). Going to be running on CBR900 Fireblade full power carbs.

Aldon Dizzy.

Road use only, but i appreciate a kick in the back when the loud pedal is abused. :good:

Cheers peeps,

Nick.

Guest scrabster

hi, ive fitted a piper 270 cam and vernier to mine,i think it goes realy well but i am a bit biased i suppose.the read up on piper web site says its a fast road cam suited to carb engines and very tractable. keep it to yourself ;) but i did 120mph being chased by a golf who gave up so well impressed and still plenty of oomph left under right foot.hth.

jess.

All the valves in the 2.0L pinto are the same size

The injection head ( the one with the egg shaped inlets) are good out of the box so you have a good start.

Bike carbs for god sake get them set up, they are very good when set up (on a rolling road) but will kill your engine in a few hundred miles if you don't. I know because i have a 2.1 with knackered big ends in the workshop.

The Kent FR32 is a good cam and i found it great fun but felt i could go up to an FR33 probably because i had a 2.1.

HOWEVER, Pinto's need compression to make the cams work,

Sooo i would use a Felpro gasket from Burton performace to get the compression up by 1/2 a point (9.7 to 1) use the FR32 cam, with a vernier cam pully and get it dialed in.

Now it depends how much effort you want to put in.... take the engine to pieces, deck the block so the pistons are level or even dare i say 0.25mm above....

Easier route thinner head gasket (9.7 to 1)

Skim the head to get 10.3 to 1 ideal for standard fuel ( depending on cam).

The Aldo dizzy while better than standard has to be set for your complete engine setup, i have got Megajolt and once fitted can be set up to suite your engine however you build it.

Keep posting with what you are doing and where you are with the build, things will change (in your head) as you progress

All the valves in the 2.0L pinto are the same size

The injection head ( the one with the egg shaped inlets) are good out of the box so you have a good start.

Bike carbs for god sake get them set up, they are very good when set up (on a rolling road) but will kill your engine in a few hundred miles if you don't. I know because i have a 2.1 with knackered big ends in the workshop.

The Kent FR32 is a good cam and i found it great fun but felt i could go up to an FR33 probably because i had a 2.1.

HOWEVER, Pinto's need compression to make the cams work,

Sooo i would use a Felpro gasket from Burton performace to get the compression up by 1/2 a point (9.7 to 1) use the FR32 cam, with a vernier cam pully and get it dialed in.

Now it depends how much effort you want to put in.... take the engine to pieces, deck the block so the pistons are level or even dare i say 0.25mm above....

Easier route thinner head gasket (9.7 to 1)

Skim the head to get 10.3 to 1 ideal for standard fuel ( depending on cam).

The Aldo dizzy while better than standard has to be set for your complete engine setup, i have got Megajolt and once fitted can be set up to suite your engine however you build it.

Keep posting with what you are doing and where you are with the build, things will change (in your head) as you progress

Cheers for the reply. I've been quoted £257 inc vat by Bogg Bros for the carbs to be stripped, cleaned and re-jetted and to supply an alluminium bespoke inlet manifold.

I think that sounds pretty good unless anybody knows different?? lol.

How does the Megajolt system look / fit / work?? Also, where's best to get it??

These 4 pot lumps are all new to me, i'm a V8 boy!!

Thanks all,

Nick

These 4 pot lumps are all new to me, i'm a V8 boy!!

Just half as much to think about then :D

Megajolt is an open source do it yourself electronic 3d mappable ignition system.

They come up on ebay and a bloke called Bill Shruvington does them to order on Locostbuilders forum.

You need a 36-1 toothed trigger wheel, a VR sensor, a Ford EDIS module and a coil pack.

You can then map the ignition on your laptop.

Have a look at Triggerwheels.com for parts and costs.

Have a look at Autosportslabs for the how to do it forum.

The good thing about this setup is that you can build it in your kitchen, fit it to your car while still using the standard dizzy, switch over to Megajolt to set it up and get it right and switch back if you have trouble.

I have Megajolt on my car the only problems i had was with crap wiring, now sorted out with shielded cable from Triggerwheels.com and by totaly rewiring the Megajolt loom myself with earths correctly made.

Don't remove the dizzy completely when going Megajolt ( but you can cut the dizzy short) as the dizzy runs off the auxilary shaft and drives the oil pump, no dizzy no oil pump drive.

Guest tommy holly
Hi all. I'm after some advice please. What Cam would be best suited to fit into my engine i'm about to overall / rebuild?

It's a 2.0l Pinto, 205 block with EFi head (big valve type?? i believe). Going to be running on CBR900 Fireblade full power carbs.

Aldon Dizzy.

Road use only, but i appreciate a kick in the back when the loud pedal is abused. :good:

Cheers peeps,

Nick.

Newman stage three cam, zx6r carbs bogg bros manifold vernier pulley, fitted to a 205 engine and head pulls clean up to 6500 revs 150 at the crank need i say more

CHEERS TOMMY

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Deano 777
Newman stage three cam, zx6r carbs bogg bros manifold vernier pulley, fitted to a 205 engine and head pulls clean up to 6500 revs 150 at the crank need i say more

CHEERS TOMMY

Hi tommy, has the head had any work done to it?

Dean.

I was running Kent's "sports injection" cam. I'm tempted to say it's the FR34 but couldn't swear to that. From memory the duration is around 287 degrees which is enough for you to feel it coming on cam, if you know what you're looking/feeling for, but not enough to make it unpleasant around town (and I did most of the running with it in a Sierra as daily transport). It also has pretty massive amounts of lift which Pintos seem to react well to. In a light car like a Hood it was a bit of a handfull and really needed an LSD to stop it from just spinning one rear wheel but even in the Sierra you could pretty much kick the tail out on demand and it would pull hard well past the legal limit. I was running an injection head with mildly worked ports but the biggest valves you could fit in there and a Burton true 2.1 bottom end. In the Sierra it was running on the original injection system which coped very well with the changed parameters/characteristics but in the Hood I was running a Weber downdraught which just wasn't enough (you could feel that it was holding back).

Iain