Zetec/bike Carbs

Guest margach31

Guest margach31

Hi,

I'm going down the zetec/bike carb route, but lack information on what i actually require, i am of the understanding that i obviously need the engine and bike carbs :D , but, what else would i require?

I know there is a lot of help on here but im not finding any thing that points me in the right direction

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

Edited by Big Jon1

Guest Larson250

Hi,

From what I can gather on here, you will be highly unlikely to pass the IVA emissions test with your suggested set up.

I may be wrong and sure be corrected soon if I am.

Regards,

Dean

Guest mcramsay

i dont think there is much chance of getting a zetec through IVA on bike carbs, im going down the throttle body route. in my eyes much better in both performance and economy. Bike carbs are a NIGHTMARE to set up if your unsure what you are doing. and in the politest way possible and i dont mean to sound harsh atall, but the fact that you are asking what you will need to get bike carbs running on your engine probibly says to me that you should stay well clear of them. just my advice :) if you do want to go down that route then your looking at needing an inlet manifold made up to accomodate the bike carbs, then then some sort of ignition system probibly an ignition only emerald or megajolt system. then you will have to have all that set up and no doubt the carbs rejetted to your engine size.

Guest margach31
i dont think there is much chance of getting a zetec through IVA on bike carbs, im going down the throttle body route. in my eyes much better in both performance and economy. Bike carbs are a NIGHTMARE to set up if your unsure what you are doing. and in the politest way possible and i dont mean to sound harsh atall, but the fact that you are asking what you will need to get bike carbs running on your engine probibly says to me that you should stay well clear of them. just my advice :) if you do want to go down that route then your looking at needing an inlet manifold made up to accomodate the bike carbs, then then some sort of ignition system probibly an ignition only emerald or megajolt system. then you will have to have all that set up and no doubt the carbs rejetted to your engine size.

yeh, i looked at the carbs for a cheaper alternative to throttle bodies, as far as i know the carbs required a megajolt and manifold etc, but after asking several other people they all chipped in other bits and none of it matched, so who better to ask than you guys.........(im not offended, the only silly question is the question thats not asked)

right then, seen as its a unanimous no no on the bike carbs, does anyone know how to do the throttle bodies for less than the GBS £2200?

thanks

Jon

Guest margach31

yeh, i looked at the carbs for a cheaper alternative to throttle bodies, as far as i know the carbs required a megajolt and manifold etc, but after asking several other people they all chipped in other bits and none of it matched, so who better to ask than you guys.........(im not offended, the only silly question is the question thats not asked)

right then, seen as its a unanimous no no on the bike carbs, does anyone know how to do the throttle bodies for less than the GBS £2200?

thanks

Jon

people nomally use suzuki gsxr 750 or 1000 thottle bodies respaced to line up with a zetec on a custon manifold as a cheaper alternatave to new thottle boddies that cost at the lest a grand

The IVA emissions rules are almost identical to the old SVA rules. Standard needed depends on engine age and any engine manufactured pre Aug 1995 does not need a cat and can be fueled by carbs if thats the way you want to go. Setup costs for ignition only ecu and bike carbs are at least comparable to those for fuel injection and probably cheaper. Parts costs will be a little cheaper for carbs.

If you want to use a blacktop zetec then it will need a cat and fuel injection but you could build with a pre 95 silvertop in there for IVA and fit the blacktop afterwards. Only bit you need to change in the engine swap is the alternator mount and fit an idler pulley on the water pump belt. Water pump hose inlet is also a different diameter. Everything else fits both engines.

Nigel

Guest smartfazer
If you want to use a blacktop zetec then it will need a cat and fuel injection but you could build with a pre 95 silvertop in there for IVA and fit the blacktop afterwards. Only bit you need to change in the engine swap is the alternator mount and fit an idler pulley on the water pump belt. Water pump hose inlet is also a different diameter. Everything else fits both engines.

Nigel

Nigel,

What about the emissions and MOT in three years time? If you go through IVA with a Silvertop, will that and it's registered emissions be expected come the MOT?

I'm probably wrong, but...........

Steve

Correct Nigel.

I have an old Pinto and am considering chucking a 2l Duratec in for a Laugh.

Bearing in mind that mine is a F reg, all I need to do is tell DVLA of the new engine size and number. I could put a 3.5l V8 in there for all I care and it wouldn't even change my road tax.