3 Years And The First Drip On Garage Floor

Jez Morton

As it says I SVA'ed the car 3 years ago and I've had the first drop of fluid hit the garage floor, at least not when working on it or me bleeding.

Basically found the rear core plug on exhaust side is leaking, its an old engine but I'm not ready for a rebuild/change yet so is it possible with the engine in.

If I remember right you belt it on one side to turn and prize it out then tap the new one in with a bit of hermatite smeared around it. This sounds simple but between the exhaust pipes I'm not too sure, has anyone successfully tried this and is the process as I describe.

Thanks

Jez

When I've done core plugs before, I've belted a sharp screwdriver into them, this "folds them in" and loosens them, but also you can then remove the old plug from the screwdriver.

Make sure that the hole in the block is nice and clean & dry, before fitting the new plug, and give the sealant time to "go off" before putting water back into the system.

Is it possible to get in there with a welder? ( assuming you have one) If so ,weld a largesh nut onto the plug -say M12- & with a length of threaded rod,more nuts & a metal block with 12.5mm hole make up a slide-hammer. Welding the nut on will cause the plug to shrink when it cools & it will come out easily. (Dis-connect battery just in case,electronics & welders don't mix)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Geordiebarry

I was replacing the exact same one on a DOHC yesterday. Removed the exhaust manifold. Used a screw driver followed by a crow bar and out it came. put the new one in without sealent and fill straight away and no leaks drove it in with a socket on a 5" extension. Not much swing with the hammer so used a BIG hammer and hey presto.

I found the biggest problem was getting the core plug, Ford dealer didn't have any.

So the sierra is back running again in time for the snow :D :D