Sad State Of Affairs

Guest lucavigg

Guest lucavigg

Over the last 3 months (since the 15th August, if you have the urge to know such things), I have spent precisely 2 hours, YES 2 HOURS! working on my Zero. This is mostly due to pressures of work, having to put in more hours in order to make ends meet during the economic downturn.

Now, with Winter approaching, I cannot see an end to this situation. Whilst I would welcome the sympathies of fellow builders, this is not the primary reason for my post.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should be wary of when leaving a huge lump of metal with a Ford Zetec 2L mounted in it for several months. Is there anything in the engine, gearbox or diff that could corrode if I have drained them of oil?

Any other advice greatly welcome.

Luca

Guest lucavigg
What he said ! spray everything metal with WD40, keep the battery charged, or better still, take it off and bring it into the house, they don't like the frost!

OK. No battery yet but I'll be doing what you both said this week.

Thanks

Luca

ohh and go out and look at it ocasionally and say things like .

broom broom

and i will get you finished and on the road .

love your kit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its part of you .

graham

realy oil up all metal bits move as much as poss and love it .its your kit !

Guest carl leonard
ohh and go out and look at it ocasionally and say things like .

broom broom

and i will get you finished and on the road .

love your kit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its part of you .

graham

realy oil up all metal bits move as much as poss and love it .its your kit !

You could buy a de-humidifier and leave it running over the winter. Not much to run and keeps everything dry and rust free !

Luca, been there done that kind of thing, up until about september i was ready to sell the 2b, no matter how much time i tried to put to oneside.. it never happened, i work long hours, have a wife, a 5 year old son and a 20 month old son. I never refuse to do things with my family. A couple of bits were causing me stress on the car.. mainly the alternator and cooling which *bleep* me off. Spoke to the missus about getting rid of it, she responded by organising some friends of ours to stay a couple of weekends, saturday night... a curry and drinks... sunday... the women took the kids to the coast... the boys got down and dirty with the car... we achieved more in 2 weekends than i had in a year... ever since then she tries to make sure i get a bit of time every weekend if possible... xmas approaching will now slow things down, but, 2010 i will hopefully finish the thing before spring.

keep your chin up, if you need help... ask.

Guest trackerjack

MMMMMM I like a wife that wants me to get dirty!

Seriously though its a common problem for married with kids.

Enjoy the young ones cos when they are teenagers they change species.

Dont give up!!!! you may feel like giving up quite a lot during your build i know i did but just get stuck in and the end result will be worth it . i kept considering selling mine but all it took was a quick blast in it and i would come home with a big grin on my face and a vow never to sell it . i have just started a zetec conversion which is turning out to be quite a task but i just keep thinking of my next run out in it and it gives me a boost to get it done.

I've got a zetec engine in my garage that i picked up from gbs(new). Its still in its wrapping,do i need to do anything to it or will it be ok? My garage is dry.

They come with some oil in them give the crank the odd turn now and then to keep things free taking pugs out will make it easy.

may be hard in Yellow plastic crate thing.

Ideal time to stuff it in the car!!

Ps i think they where made in Bridgend

Stephen

hi,

took me 5 years to get my 2b on the road and i know there are a lot of people who took even longer. But when you finally get it on the road and realise that you are driving something you put together and is actually yours it is so worth it. Iam not sure i will ever get bored of people giving a nod or 'nice car mate' as you drive by.

Looking back at the reason it took so long i think i was just so scared of making a mistake that i wanted to get everything perfect and there is a lot of room for interpretation in a robin hood which adds a lot of time. If i did it again i reckon i could do it in 6 months having learnt what ive learnt along the way. The job that took 2 days thinking about how and where to drill etc would now take an hour.

i think i'd say pick a job and get it done. if you start one thing and then go onto another and another it all becomes daunting and you end up going and watching tv instead as its easier.

good luck

Guest oddsocks
hi,

took me 5 years to get my 2b on the road and i know there are a lot of people who took even longer. But when you finally get it on the road and realise that you are driving something you put together and is actually yours it is so worth it. Iam not sure i will ever get bored of people giving a nod or 'nice car mate' as you drive by.

Looking back at the reason it took so long i think i was just so scared of making a mistake that i wanted to get everything perfect and there is a lot of room for interpretation in a robin hood which adds a lot of time. If i did it again i reckon i could do it in 6 months having learnt what ive learnt along the way. The job that took 2 days thinking about how and where to drill etc would now take an hour.

i think i'd say pick a job and get it done. if you start one thing and then go onto another and another it all becomes daunting and you end up going and watching tv instead as its easier.

good luck

Think your right zed!

My heads been all over the place trying to think of everything before i start it coz i dont want to get it wrong. But coming on here and asking has helped, now i just need to get motived again to carry on. But i also think thats its good to have a break from it now and again otherwise it will drive you mad!! But im sure that will be all forgotton when you first start it.

And steve they are made in bridgend about 2 miles away from me but i travelled over 200 to get it from GBS along with zero-ironic hey!