24 Volt Starter Wiring

Snapperpaul

I have heard of problems with the high torque starters so am considering the Rally car system of 2 batteries and 24 volts supplied to the starter.

How do i wire it up and can i make a charging circuit that charges both batteries?

Surely a high amperage battery would surfice, some very good red top ones are available. or maybe two battery run in series giving twice the amperage,

you would need a seperate 12v system to run accesories if you only want to feed 24v to the starter?

Er,

two batteries in series will give 24 volts, wire them in parallel thats how you double the amperage.

Not sure if you could charge two batteries wired in series off a 12volt alternator maybe possible with some clever electrickery but its too late to think hard.

I think you need to have a 24volt alternator charging both batteries, then you can tap off the middle of the two for 12volts for the rest of the cars electrics.

Still, seems a bit drastic what engine is it.

Jez

Guest chris brown

What is the problem Paul? Most diesels use high torque (geared) starters and any diesel is going to be much harder to turn over than a petrol burner just because of the compression (up to 21:1) never mind the extra weight.

The new engine is going to run high compression, I am currently stuggling to get down to 10.7 to 1 but whatever happens i will be running at least 10.5 to 1 so that the cam will work.

The current engine struggles (standard 2.0L) so i though the old rally car trick of 2 batteries for starting would help, don't have room for a bigger battery but could fit another one lower down on the Series 3's engine bay floor.

High torque starters are about £130 and Burtons recon they have problems with them.

Give electro start a call they custom made me a starter with extra grunt and difrent mountings etc.

When some one is so help full and knowledgeable I can only recommend them They are called Electrostart LINK And Ray is most help full. They will call you back almost straight away after receiving an e mail.

Stephen

Make sure that 1, your starter motor is not actually faulty/old etc., 2 your battery is in good condition (drop test is the only way to really check this properly), 3, the battery cables are of the right gauge (the thicker the better) and in good condition and lastly, the issue that causes most problems, make sure the battery ground is connected to the engine block and the chassis and that they are in good condition. I have fixed lots of slow or not turning starters by sorting out the earthing cables! The diesel stater motor is also a good idea but only if the cables are up to the job of delivering the correct current!

Just as megadodo says. My last two engines have had 10.5+ compression ratios and run easily on a standard starter and small Odyssey battery.

Another issue that can cause problems is too much static or cranking advance on the ignition. If the charge fires on the compression stroke of the piston it can slow or stop cranking. Aftermarket ECU's often allow you to set advance to zero for cranking or revs below 500 to avoid this. My omex does.

Nigel

Er,

two batteries in series will give 24 volts, wire them in parallel thats how you double the amperage.

Not sure if you could charge two batteries wired in series off a 12volt alternator maybe possible with some clever electrickery but its too late to think hard.

I think you need to have a 24volt alternator charging both batteries, then you can tap off the middle of the two for 12volts for the rest of the cars electrics.

Still, seems a bit drastic what engine is it.

Jez

you cant tap off the middle

fastest way to kill 2 batteries as they will go out of balance

increase your cable sizes to you starter, and earth connections for the engine first