Wheel Studs

Guest richieu

Guest richieu

Evening, need to replace a front wheel stud and was woundering if anyone new how to get the old ones out, after considerable beating with a block of wood and a hammer i am moving no where fast

Regards

Richard

Guest The Modfather
Evening, need to replace a front wheel stud and was woundering if anyone new how to get the old ones out, after considerable beating with a block of wood and a hammer i am moving no where fast

Regards

Richard

Done one years ago on an old Anglia 105E, had to use plenty of heat, and it still took ages. From memory (dad was helping) we heated the hub and not the stud, as the hub is harder than the stud. If the hub is off I'd suggest removing the disc in case it warps, and sticking the hub over a cooker flame. Replacing was using heat on the hub again, and putting the stud in the freezer for the day, and quickly mating the two.

Regards

Darren

Guest old_timbo

I changed all my studs as they were too short and never managed to get one out intact - started out playing nicely with a piece of wood, then heat and wood, followed by big hammer abuse, which worked. Then all you have to do is to get the new stud in. I pulled mine in with a spacer and a nut, but the fine thread of relatively soft metal meant a nut was only up to a couple of studs before the thread in the nut gave up. Studs don't suffer. Even then they must have pulled in further when back on the road as some of the wheel nuts needed another tweak after a few miles.

Tim

Guest margach31

Regards

Richard

I hit mine out with a hammer then pulled them back in using washers and a wheel stud, 5 minutes each wheel. no need to warm or lubricate just gentle persuasion.

Guest richieu

Thanks for the replys, i thought i would update for any other poor sod that has this problem. i tried the softy approach with a rubber mallet but the hammer gave way before the studs ... i can safetly say a big metal hammer and 30 -40 hits per stud, did the trick, it must be the vibrations that helped =)

thanks

Rich

Guest Ian & Carole

Rich

When you have fitted the new ones make sure that you check your wheel nuts regularly for the first few trips as the studs don't always pull up tight when you fit them. :o