No Oil

steve_wilson

hi all,

i bought my kit car part built off ebay with a recon 2.0 pinto engine (not sure who by). it does look to be a good job with lots of new parts and gaskets.

However when turning the engine over without the rocker cover on there was no oil coming out of the camshaft spray bar. is this normal?

i took the plugs out to make cranking easier and turned it over for 30seconds and still nothing. i daren't do it anymore incase i cause damage to something.

Where is the best place to start looking for the problem?

check the oil pump maybe? blocked spraybar (looks new)? i'm sure there's enough oil in.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks, steve

Have you tried priming the system? Remove the dizzy and use an electric drill and socket (6mm?) on the oil pump drive down the hole, you should feel/hear some resistance as the oil starts to pump.

Might also be worth checking the seal/gasket on the oil pick up pipe, a leak there will mean the pump is sucking air rather than oil, but it means the sump has to come off.

hi,

i was watching american hotrod the other day and they had no oil pressure on their new motor. After pulling everything apart they found that it was the pickup pipe being too close to the bottom so no oil could get in. Not sure if you have a shortened sump/modified pickup but that might be another thing to check if you have no luck with the other suggestions.

hth

Guest mower man
hi,

i was watching american hotrod the other day and they had no oil pressure on their new motor. After pulling everything apart they found that it was the pickup pipe being too close to the bottom so no oil could get in. Not sure if you have a shortened sump/modified pickup but that might be another thing to check if you have no luck with the other suggestions.

hth

Hi the above prob caused me some head scratching after bottoming out at stafford show pushed the sump bottom face on to the pickup, after adjusting the sump I removed the pickup and drilled anumber of 1mm holes in the top of the mushroom to give afail safe[yes it is a shortened sump] .Something to be thought about!! regards mower man :good: :yahoo:

Pull out the dizzy and spin up with socket and electric drill, if no oil appears at the spray bar drop the sump and check the pump.

I had a problem with the pickup pipe to pump gasket, i still got oil at the spray bars but it was full of air.

If there is no oil at the spray bar and no oil pressure on the guage then it is either the pump or the pickup.

If you have oil pressure but no oil at the spaybar then it is the oil gallery or oil spray bar blocked.

It may be simply that the oil drive shaft is missing or not engaged.

• 2 weeks later...

just primed the oil pump now using a drill. oil does come through but there doesnt seem to be much pressure and its full of air.

the air must be getting in somewhere, maybe the pickup pipe gasket? oil filter maybe? theres plenty of oil in it by the way.

any ideas? i've got a video that'll upload when im on th other computer so show you what i mean

Thanks, steve

To expand on my original problem, the oil pickup pipe to oil pump gasket was upside down restrickting the flow untill the gasket gave way sucking in air, to prove this Dave4kids said just keep filling the sump with oil and see if the air in the oil coming out of the spaybar stops.

I used about double the oil and the air did stop, took the sump off and the gasket was on upside down, replaced it, sump back on, oil set to top mark, spin oil drive shaft with a drill to get pressure, re fit distributor and ran fine.

There is no gasket between the oil pump and the mounting face, check the pump is bolted on properly, a loose pump could suck in air.

If you have some oil pressure cold but it drops a lot when hot it is usually the big ends.

thanks very much for the reply paul

i overfilled it and the air bubbles went away. so i guess this means its the seal between the pickup pipe and pump.

i'm halfway through taking the sump off now (difficult with no engine hoist) and will let you know how i get on!

Thanks, steve