Megajolt Edis Problem

Guest Takumi

Hello all and a merry xmas :)

The car has been off the road for a cam change after the last one wore itself to bits, that was all done ok, come to start it up for running in and its dead.

• The edis ignition sys produces 1 spark on cyl1 when cranking then nothing,
  • The VR signal is fine and very clean.
  • All the terminals are clean, even tried multiple edis units all with the same reults, and multiple coil packs!
  • Cleaned the Edis connector -no corrosion there..

We thought it might be a problem with part of the ign loom, so we tried connecting the edis+coils direct to the battery terminals, and had the same 1 spark and nothing..

wondering if it could be a cracked wire somewhere?

also, we checked cyl2 while cranking, after the first single spark on cyl1, there seemed to be a tiny tiny spark on cyl 2..

Any ideas most welcome, this is becoming an impossible diagnosis...

tak

Ignore the Megajolt element , the Edis box is not connected to the MJ atm.. as it doesnt need to be to fire and idle, as it will give out a basic 12deg adv if not connected to an ecu.

Check voltage to the EDIS and Coil pack, for the purpose of the test you can rig a switch and wire the EDIS and Coil pack power supply direct to the battery.

You need the switch or you cant turn off the engine.

Make sure you also rig a good earth direct to the battery as well.

I had some serious issues with my Megajolt for a while and most of the problem was a dodgy loom. A new loom and direct conection to the battery helped once i had re wired the VR sensor, TWICE, I ended up with some new shielded cable from Trigger-wheels.com and 2 new junior timer plugs.

The EDIS still needs the VR sensor to tell it to fire, start there, work back.

Don't forget to check the earthed shielding on the VR cable and the ones to the coil pack and Megajolt.

Make sure your engine earths are good as well

the VR signal is perfect, giving a very clean 0-4v wave!

All the cranking voltages are fine, the battery is on a charger at the same time, and I've even tried connecting the EDIS+CoilPack to a sperate power source, with the same result..

arrrg... boooo

might help - the bit that caught me out was there are 2 earth conections on the eds unit.

woolly

The bits that irritating, is that is was all running fine.. drove into the garage, and now cant drive out.! lol

all the connections have not moved, everything has been checked.. really stumping..