Reflection On The Past Year

Guest sritony

Guest sritony

Hi All,

Well the year's almost over, I owned my car for about a year but due to other issues (going back to study CISCO computer networking and lack of funds) my love/hate affair with my Hood came to a quick conclusion and it was sold a few months back.

The first conclusion I came to from owning the car was what a great community and following that the Robin Hood owners Club have. I never thought there would be such a great amount of knowledge and a fantastic North East club, (unfortunitely the night falls on a college night so chances to attend will be limited to the summer once college finishes). I was always made to feel welcome, never intimidated and met some great people. I had people helping me on days off showing me all sorts of stuff. I went from being a complete novice to just a novice, by the end of the year I had changed some brakes, fuses, alternator and learnt the hard way what a high tensile bolt is! I even got a mention in Boys in the Hood :) proud moment

I done almost 2000 miles in the 6 summer months, had 4 major break downs and a near miss with a sheep! I went on some fantastic roads, some great little run outs and even a weekend away to Smallways, and shows! I doubt this would have been replicated in anything but a Hood! I somehow managed to bore you all with 300+ posts, can't say I always got positive responses but that's to be expected!

I loved the interaction with complete random people if you stopped by the shops etc, I loved the way the car made me feel, I was happy when I drove it, I was excited to get up in the morning if I knew I was going out in it.

I went into owning a kit car a bit blinded by the above points but there were the negative points... I really found how much I hate working on cars. I didn't enjoy being covered in muck and taking a tool kit and overalls wherever I went. I also don't find a lot of the mechanical talk very exciting, it's just not me. I am more of a delicate hands on person hence why I love working with computers! As I often said, put a computer in front of me to build no problems, talk about DMZ, Router's, protocols would probably bore a lot of you!

And the overall conclusion would I ever own a kit car again..........probably not. To own a kit car I really think you have to have the mechanical knowhow and desire to learn and since I neither have the money/tools/close hand support/space/time/knowledge I don't think I will ever dip into it again! IF I had a kit car that was factory built, parts off the shelf etc then yes I think I would go back into it but again who knows if that would ever happen.

Merry Christmas everybody, I wish everybody a fantastic year ahead, and I hope to see some of you at the shows!

Best of look working on your cars during the winter!

Thank you

Tony