Up-rated Top Wishbone And Dummy Strut Kit

Guest old_timbo

Guest old_timbo

Up-rated top wishbone and strut kit for Robin Hood wishbone 2B's

In order to rectify the poor standard front suspension geometry, this kit replaces the standard top wishbones and strut. This allows greatly improved geometry for both castor and camber build characteristics. The result is greater front end grip, increased steering feel and centring.

The kit is also designed to offer fine adjustment of camber and castor allowing both sides of the car to be equalized properly unlike with the standard wishbone.

Kit Includes:

2 Replacement top wishbones.

4 High quality spherical joint bush replacements and lock nuts.

2 Camber adjusters

2 Extended dummy struts

Features

Wishbones:

High spec. mild steel seamless tubing.

Fine adjustability for camber using screw adjuster and shimming with washers for castor.

Designed around standard Transit draglink as top ball joint.

Extended dummy strut:

Increases height of top pivot for better camber build characteristics.

Options

1. Complete kit including black painted exchange extended strut, painted wishbones, camber adjusters and bronze lined spherical joints: £120 + Postage.

2. Complete kit , unpainted: £110 + Postage

3. Pair of wishbones (Unpainted) £65 + Postage

4. Extended Strut (pair) £20 + Postage

5. Fitting service including full 4 wheel alignment, camber and castor setting available.

Notes

· Dummy struts sold on an exchange basis only as the originals are required for modification. Update 21st July 2010 - Exchange no longer necessary - I'm making new struts from scratch.

· The replacement wishbones must be used in conjunction with extended struts.

· If extended struts are used with the original RHSC top wishbones, the wishbones will require modification (shortening).

· Headlamp mounting brackets and head lamp mounts may need adjusting to clear top wishbones on full bump.

· Wheel arch mounting brackets attached to struts will need modification.

Please PM with requirements.

This kit has been tried and tested on my 2B, so should fit any other pre GBS 2B too. However if the car is brought to us, we will fit the first set sold free of charge to make sure there are no unexpected problems.

Thanks

Tim

See this link for more photos: http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Pi...2B%20Wishbones/

post-1398-1260917933_thumb.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Tim,

Looking good B)

Two quick questions - what's your clearance like on the coilover spring? The standard top wishbone rubs on mine.

Secondly, Is there a timescale you'll be producing them for? I'm definitely interested but it's a pretty bad time financially with Christmas and that, so can you wait for a month or two?

Cheers

Joel.

Guest old_timbo

Hi Joel,

The clearance between the rear leg of the top wishbone and the shock is an issue. With the new wishbone and about 3 deg of caster we designed in a clearance of about 5mm with Gaz Shocks. In practice you need to set more caster than this, and this increases the clearance to around 10mm. So should sort your problem.

I doubt anyone will be wanting a kit very quickly, but if we got enough interest to build a batch of say 5 in January that would be good. However we will fit in with what folk want. Guess there will be a lot of winter improvements going on over the next 2 - 3 months!

Tim

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mower man

Hi I run an early s7 mono car with inboard dampers when jacked up I noticed there iis very little droop travel before the top ball joint is at the limit of it's travel , I notice you are offering extended dummy struts is this to cure a similar problem on the 2b ?,I had thought of repositioning the strut higher in the upright to acheive mire travel , your thought's on this would be appricated regards mower man :search: for answers :unknw:

Guest Tim Norman

If you fir the longer ones you will need to adjust the camber back in quite a bit, so make a note of it before you start, and more importantly make sure you have enough adjustment to start with!

Guest mower man

I expect having to reset susp geometry , inc ride hieght so I'm not too fussed Tim ,just wanted some different veiws thanks any way . I've an idea Imay have to fit an a/roll bar so will be shadowing your project with interest regards mower man :good: :acute: :search: :crazy:

Guest old_timbo

I've never examined a S7 closely so don't know much about the front suspension.

On the wishbone 2B however, the longer strut is to change the suspension geometry so it builds +ve camber on droop, and -ve camber on compression. You have to get the tapered inserts at the top of the strut at the right angle to maximise the travel available in the ball joint. You also need to check that the position of the bottom shock mount on the lower wishbone is right so that the bump stops in the shock limit the suspension movement in both directions rather than the ball joints.

If you keep the standard top wishbones and fit the longer strut, then you will find the top wishbones are too long. Initially I got around this by fitting a half width locking nut and lopping 10mm of the end of the wishbone........only to find that the wishbone wasn't threaded far enough internally to set the camber right. So I ended up cutting down the ball joint thread as well. Not ideal, and led on to the development of the revised top wishbone design.

Tim

Guest mower man
I've never examined a S7 closely so don't know much about the front suspension.

On the wishbone 2B however, the longer strut is to change the suspension geometry so it builds +ve camber on droop, and -ve camber on compression. You have to get the tapered inserts at the top of the strut at the right angle to maximise the travel available in the ball joint. You also need to check that the position of the bottom shock mount on the lower wishbone is right so that the bump stops in the shock limit the suspension movement in both directions rather than the ball joints.

If you keep the standard top wishbones and fit the longer strut, then you will find the top wishbones are too long. Initially I got around this by fitting a half width locking nut and lopping 10mm of the end of the wishbone........only to find that the wishbone wasn't threaded far enough internally to set the camber right. So I ended up cutting down the ball joint thread as well. Not ideal, and led on to the development of the revised top wishbone design.

Tim

Hi thanks for your last post Ihave got the idea behind the mod now I think!! .The susp on my car uses rocking arm top wishbones similar to an F1 car , as I see it Ican alter camber in two ways 1 the normal adjustment 2 shorten the wishbone and perhaps 3 move the rocking arm pivot towards the centre line of the car, this also puts the s/a nearly vertical whtch I'm told is desireable ? I am going to do a little more research before any alterations which will be later in the year, thanks again regards mower man any other comments would be welcome!! :unsure: :wacko: :blink: :good: :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nurburg2006

hello iam about to collect my 2b with sliding pillars could you give me any advice on how to change that system to coil overs and what costs iam I looking at. can anyone help me. my email is cpfranklyn@hotmail.co.uk

cheers

Edited by nurburg2006

• 2 months later...
Guest Angel Boy

Tim,

Put me down for the complete kit. Anyone else wanting a set to make it worth while getitng in the raw materials in for this?

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone else wanting a set to make it worth while getitng in the raw materials in for this?

Put me down for an option 2 (unpainted kit)

Do we have to supply the old dummy struts for exchange BEFORE the new kit is delivered, or can we do that at a later date?

Guest Angel Boy

So looks like so far:

1. Andy Stather (Option 1 - complete kit, painted with dummy extended strutts)

2. Joel (Option 2 - unpainted kit)

If there are any more can you add your name to the list please :D

Andy

So looks like so far:

1. Andy Stather (Option 1 - complete kit, painted with dummy extended strutts)

2. Joel (Option 2 - unpainted kit)

3. Duff Robinson ( Full kit at £120 )

If there are any more can you add your name to the list please :D

Andy

Guest old_timbo

Andy,

Thanks for starting the list. There were a couple of others that were interested at the beginning of the year, so it looks like we might get the numbers. Still struggling to get my fixed scuttle conversion finished and my car back on the road, but when I have done that I'll pick up on the wishbones again.

Tim