What Engine To Use

Guest robert1108

Guest The Modfather

Welcome aboard Rob.

Personally I'd use the zetec. The SOHC pinto is getting harder to find at a decent price, and if you do get one, then you'll spend plenty of money getting it half decent, replacing main bearings, rings, gaskets, fuel, oil and water pumps, hoses etc. There's no point in getting an engine and not replacing the mains etc whilst it is out, as you will not know what life it has had. If you have to get crank, camshaft, pistons you will blow more than a grand easily!

I think GBS sell the zetec for £750? In my opinion you'll be hard pressed to get a pinto looking that good with new parts. If my pinto goes pop, then I'll get the zetec.

Your choice though Rob.

Darren

Guest chris brown

As others have said the Pinto is getting hard to find. There is very few upgrades for the DOHC and I don’t think there are any readily available for the 1800 CVH - in any case the 1600 CVH was a better engine - if you intend using a car engine then I would think the Zetec black top is one of the best. But depending what you want to use the car for don’t forget bike engines although not good for long distance road use are better on the track.

What budget have you got?

Zetec black top = engine + ecu + injection system + cat (Maybe)

Engine out of donor = free if in good nick, but more work after IVA if you want to swop it.

Zetec silver top (pre 92 I THINK) should get through iva with bike carbs.

If you fit an early engine from the start for iva you can fit what you want later, and it is easier to convince DVLA it came out of the donor, as not many Sierras came with a Zetec black top fitted, although I know a few donors did have them fitted just before the car was stripped :o

As I said it is all down to money at the end of the day

Steve

Fit a pre 1995 engine for the easiest emmisions limits at MOT and no CAT.

A Pinto has induction on the left so to replace a Pinto the Duratec i4 is easiest and probably the most expensive

DOHC or CVH induction on the right so a Zetec is a good replacement.

If you want an age related plate use the engine from your donor. I did a full rebuild on my 2l pinto. Rebore, pistons, unleaded head, full engine balance, camshaft, valve springs &seats cut, water pump, fuel pump, shortened sump, clutch, heavey duty bearings, alternater, carb, dizzy etc.... Spent as much as a new zetec but I havn't got the cost of bell housing, gear box, sump, water rail, engine managment, throttle bodies, fuel rail and pump, engine sensors etc. Plus I know my engine inside out and the engine, transmission, diff gearing, speedo calibration, carb all match from one single car. Easy to plumb in and the engine loom only has four wires plus alternater

Guest stuart_

hi, i started with a pinto in my kit, but then going to a duratec, as it is all alloy and weighs a lot less than the pinto and less than the zetec and more power to start with.

stuart

• 3 weeks later...
Guest chelcott
If you want an age related plate use the engine from your donor. I did a full rebuild on my 2l pinto. Rebore, pistons, unleaded head, full engine balance, camshaft, valve springs &seats cut, water pump, fuel pump, shortened sump, clutch, heavey duty bearings, alternater, carb, dizzy etc.... Spent as much as a new zetec but I havn't got the cost of bell housing, gear box, sump, water rail, engine managment, throttle bodies, fuel rail and pump, engine sensors etc. Plus I know my engine inside out and the engine, transmission, diff gearing, speedo calibration, carb all match from one single car. Easy to plumb in and the engine loom only has four wires plus alternater

hi new to RH and kit cars did you do the engine refurb yourself or did you get it done profssionaly by one wshop or multiple?

whats the best engine to use in the zero kitcar fords ohc dohc or the later cvh i'm new to kitcars please help

thanks

rob

I agree with the age related plate idea, but when I found my donor vehicle it was advertised as a pinto sierra on ebay. The old owner drove it to my brother in laws 150 miles away from me. He said it was running ok so I got transported to my house. Would you beleive it was fitted with the old crossflow engine the sierra was imported from South africa.

However I like the engine and it is simple to repair and maintain. No problem with spare parts yet! So I have decide to keep it, maybe I'll change my mind after the IVA.

Regards

Mark

Guest Alan_builder

Hi All & welcom Rob,

Just one thing about the Pinto, its strong, only suffers from cam wear, they like it hot which is what you get under the Hood's hood.

What a can of worms, why no diesel (TD)?

Why no VW 2L GTI / Audi TT

What about Volvo T5 or slumit with a T4

Nissen 200zx

All 200+ bhp easily and most can be ..... with enough / big enough leavers fitted.

We are putting a Rover V8 3.9 in a 2B

The choice is yours, we all have our own opinion of what is best some say the chevi LS3/4

I :wub: my :rhsc: