Below Zero

Guest red7

I wake up sweating in the night wondering. Have I put enough antifreeze in my S7's cooling system? We are seeing -5 at night. She's locked up safe in her garage but will she be okay? I think I'll drain the cooling system tomorrow morning. Oh no! I always loose a pint of blood when I undo the bottom hose. Maybe I'll just pour half a litre of antifreeze into the rad. (after I've worked out how to get half a litre of fluid out of there) and turn the engine over a few times. Any bright ideas? What have you guys done to winterise your toys?

Guest The Modfather

Done mine on the Thursday morning of the big freeze! Stuck 2 litres in so I'm hoping there's enough in there. I did run it Friday and it all went ok, so now it's in the garage it should be ok.

Fitted a radiator in the garage connected directly to the central heating in the house..... :D

Put down two layers of carpet (it helps living near a "Carpet Right" depot!)

Insulated the garage roof & fitted fire resistant plasterboard.

(just wish I hadnt left the last one until yesterday)

Bob

Whats all the fuss about, the antifreeze I have says 25% mix okay for UK conditions and 50% is good for -36.

You can get a cheap tester for antifreeze from Halfords for £5.

I'd worry more about everyday car as I don't check or add antifreeze its done in the service allegedly and the car lives outside.

I wouldn't recommend draining the coolant as antifreeze is a corrosion inhibitor as well and you may find water pumps and things start to rust then leak after being left open to air.

Jez

I wake up sweating in the night wondering. Have I put enough antifreeze in my S7's cooling system? We are seeing -5 at night. She's locked up safe in her garage but will she be okay? I think I'll drain the cooling system tomorrow morning. Oh no! I always loose a pint of blood when I undo the bottom hose. Maybe I'll just pour half a litre of antifreeze into the rad. (after I've worked out how to get half a litre of fluid out of there) and turn the engine over a few times. Any bright ideas? What have you guys done to winterise your toys?

Hi Steve

I take a little bit of Antifreeze from the rad and put it in the freezer for 24 hrs and see if it freezes.All the best for next year hope to see more of you and NE club Arthur

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi all like Jez says

DO NOT DRAIN DOWN

modern antifreeze contains anti-corrosion inhibitors, to stop any alli parts from corrosion, obviously :rolleyes: , and like already said water pump seals will dry out and guaranteed to leak when refilled.

Much better to just running the car up on a weekly / fortnightly basis.

If you do run the engine up, make sure that you run to full operating temp. without load of loud peddle, nice and gentle on tickover for the first few mins.