R1 Carb Balancing Help Req'd

Guest AndyJones

Guest AndyJones

Hi can any one help,?

as i am trying to balance my r1 carbs strapped to my 2 ltr pinto, just to get my 2b roughley set up before sending it out on a rolling road set up. I have bought a Gunson carb balancer to help me, but still not sure what setting i should be aiming for on the read-out, ( 1,2,3,4,5)? and where the ajustment screws are on the carbs. Has any one had a go before with this tool?

cheers Andy.

Guest AndyJones
On my blade carbs one carb is the master, you set all the others to same reading by adjusting the screws between the carbs that are on the shaft that the cable pulls. dyno guy did mine only took him a few mins.

Dan

cheers for that, i will have a go tomorrow, but i wonder which one is the master?

This may help?

Assuming the timing is already correctly set start off by setting the idle screws all the same 2 ½ -3 turns out, then balance the carbs when it is running either with a flow meter or listening to the sound of the suck with a bit of rubber hose. One of the carbs is the master, probably the one with the cable connected so get the next carb in the line sucking the same amount by adjusting the throttle linkage screws, then the next and so on. You will have to adjust the idle speed as you do this as the revs will be going up and down. This will give you a good starting point, if there is a lot of spitting back through the carbs at idle and slight throttle opening or overrun then the idle mixture needs richening. If the exhaust is sooty after normal driving then perhaps the needles could be lowered to lean the mixture if it is sooty after a real thrashing then the mains are probably too big. Conversely if the exhaust is very pale and it struggles under load then the needles need raising and possibly bigger mains, but without a rolling road session it will be just trial and error, do runs then check plug colours to get an idea of what is going on.

and where the ajustment screws are on the carbs.

Take a look at this video, its not R1 carbs but the screws you are after are about the same position labeled pilot screw (yes the hardest to get at with carbs on)

Simple little video with great sound.

Andi

Guest scrabster

hi andy,which r/road you using? Torque Tune next to gbs factory did mine and dans(notimpressed) and he knows all about pintos and bike carbs,cost me £125 well worth it in my opinion.gained about 19bhp.

jess.

Guest AndyJones
hi andy,which r/road you using? Torque Tune next to gbs factory did mine and dans(notimpressed) and he knows all about pintos and bike carbs,cost me £125 well worth it in my opinion.gained about 19bhp.

jess.

Cheers for the help guys, Ive had a play today, and balanced them the best i can, and seems to have worked, until i get it on a rolling road, but now behaves a lot better, as number 1 was way out.

Just a quick tip for any one doing the same. Its well worth drilling 3 access holes in the filter backing plate, each in-line with were you would be using your screw driver to ajust the throttle screws on each carb. As this will make it a lot easier for future ajustment, saves taking off all 16 screws just to get at the 3 ajuster screws[/size]