What Is Wrong With Sliding Pillars?

Guest fathead

Guest fathead

Hi all

I am new to the website and I have found it to be great so far. I am due to pick up a 2b rolling chasis this weekend and I believe it could be the Sub K....? Does this model have sliding Pillars? If so, I have seen posts regarding wish bone conversions. Is there a big problem with the sliding pillars and should I look at changing them? My problem is cost and by looking at the conversion kits, it is £500 I could do without spending. That would eat up my engine and gearbox budget.

Is there a regional club that covers Peterborough as it would be great to meet up with other owners and get some advice.

I have loads of other questions regarding the engine etc but I will put those into the relavent category.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Hi there

There are a lot of sliding pillars out there and it will get you through IVA but they not the best setup for handleing in my opinion. For just driving around and not pushing the car, it will do.

However, if you are looking for better handleing then you will need to change it over but this can be done after finishing the build.

GBSC have a conversion set which you are aware of and then you need to purchase the dampers from someone like Dampertech. Alternativly, you might like to wait a while as we are looking to release a conversion kit including dampers in the near future.

Hi,

there will be others with far more knowledge on this (please correct if iam wrong) but from what i know -

There are a few limitations with the sliding pillar, which include wearing of the bush on which the assembly moves up and down. Someone posted this week asking to get a replacement and i think the answer was to get a custom made replacement as they aren't made anymore by gbs. Not the biggest problem as a lot of hood bits are custom, but something to bear in mind. Keep it greased well to limit wear.

I think there was also a post regarding how it is assembled to get it through SVA/IVA as some of the top of bottom mounting pieces need to be secured better than suggested by the RH videos.

Suspension travel is limited in this system as the bottom of the hub will contact the inside of the wheel. Its probably best to use 15's to get as much space as possible. Make sure you have a good bump stop to stop it hitting if it does bottom out.

Its probably not the best system overall but its cheap fun and you can always do a conversion later when funds allow.

I think it was morgan who also used the sliding pillar on some of their earlier cars.

HTH and hopefully i haven't said anything incorrect.

Guest fathead

That's great. Thanks you both for your reply. I think I will stick with the sliding pillars for the time being. As you said, I can always change them later.

One problem solved, now on to the decision regarding which engine to go for.

Thanks again.

That's great. Thanks you both for your reply. I think I will stick with the sliding pillars for the time being. As you said, I can always change them later.

One problem solved, now on to the decision regarding which engine to go for.

Thanks again.

Hi, :hi:

I have the sliding pillar fitted to mine which I have been running for the past year. Managed to get it through SVA no problems, so IVA should be ok I think.

I must admit that I drove in another members car after having mine on the road for a while and the difference in ride/ handling was massive... I have done 3K miles with no real issues other than a bumpier ride. One of the jobs I have lined up is to do the wishbone conversion. So if you are on a tight budget I would do as agentZ suggested and run the sliding pillars for now and change later (it would be easier to do now at the initial build stage though if you can afford it!)

One thing you will need to ensure you sort is the brackets for the front cycle wings. This is the only issue I have had with this set up. There are plenty of posts on here about it and I thought it won't happen to me, but it did. 500 miles and the nearside bracket broke. So my advice is get the wing brackets strengthened (The flat plate which the spring sits on cracked so needs strengthening to stop it flexing) before fitting as it is a full suspension strip down if done at a later date and most probably replacement wings....

Good luck with the build and enjoy! B)

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Steve

We ran sliding pillar for the first two years with out issue, a bit bouncy yes but managed quick trips ove rthe Yorkshire moors.

15" whheels are a must and if you keep the slider well greased it should last you 2/3 years without issues, some have lasted 6 or 7.

When you do grease the slider check regularly for exess grease, it has been known for it to find its way onto the front brakes, not really a problem if you know about it and keep an eye out for it.

With regard to members near you..if you joint the club you will get a list of members near you who are on the road are like you still building.

The best £15.00 you will spend on your car :rolleyes:

HTHs

Guest salty_monk

You may find the springs go soft reasonably quickly.. that's what happened on mine. At that point you can replace with uprated springs or switch to wishbones...

Dan :)

hi steve

guess the northants area meet would be one of the closest to you

we meet at the white horse in tilbrook near kimbolton on the 2nd sunday of the month

very much doubt theyre will be anyone there this weekend though

mine is sliding pillar, you are welcome to prod and poke that, though i do intend to be cutting them off soon

dave

Guest fathead
hi steve

guess the northants area meet would be one of the closest to you

we meet at the white horse in tilbrook near kimbolton on the 2nd sunday of the month

very much doubt theyre will be anyone there this weekend though

mine is sliding pillar, you are welcome to prod and poke that, though i do intend to be cutting them off soon

dave

That's great. Thanks Dave. I live in Sawtry so Tilbrook is not far at all. What time do you meet up?

Dave4kids in Essex has recently done the wishbone conversion, i.e cut off the sliding pillars and welded on the double wishbone conversion supplied by GBS.

Needed a bit of fettling but the result is very good.

It would be worth buying a sliding pillar and negotiating a lower price to take into account the cost of the conversion then at your leasure convert to double wishbone.