What Engine Would You Put In If Starting Out?

Guest fathead

Guest fathead

Hi

I am new to the forum and I am finding all the posts very helpful.

I am picking up my 2b rolling chasis this weekend. I will soon have to make the decision regarding what engine and gearbox to put in. With this being my first build, I want to keep it as simple as possible but I also don't want to take it out in 2 years time when I am looking for more power. My original thoughts where to go down the 2.0 pinto route tied into a type 9 box. But there seems to be alot of people looking at changing to a zetec lump instead. Would it be better to go down the zetec route and would I have to make any modifications to the engine bay or to the mounts? Are there any major problems with doing this?

I did consider looking at bike engines but it appears to be a very expensive option. I have to keep my options as cost effective as possible. Ideally sub £500.

With regards to the gearbox. Is there any other box apart from the type 9 that could be cosidered? Mt25? would that fit?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Steve

Guest The Modfather

Hi there.

There was a post a few weeks ago regarding this same question re zetec, duratec and bike engines. The zetec is probably the best engine for general use, and will be more than enough for your sliding pillar suspension. One thing to think about is that there are a lot of people changing from pintos, so there are likely to be some upfor sale, but they won't be cheap. If you can go for the zetec then do it.

A bike engine is difficult and expensive sorting out the reverse gearing, as bikes don't have them!

Find the post i mentioned for further advice from others too.

HTH

Darren

Where abouts are you, update your profile so people close may be able to assist you. Check this out, might be a cheap pinto going soon from Knock-on http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?show...mp;#entry193797

Guest fathead

Thanks for that Darren. I have sent a message to Knock-on to see if he is interested in selling it. I have looked at the other thread and it does not mention about any possible changes to the engine bay. I would guess that the mounts would be in the wrong place for a Zetec?

Thanks for the advice regarding the profile. I'll update it now.

Cheers

Steve

Guest The Modfather

If you go for a pinto, make damn sure its a good one, as you could easily spend more money sorting a pinto out, ie crank, pistons, cams, rebore and the like. Don't forget, GBS sell a zetec for £700, brand new :huh:

Guest fathead
Contact GBS directly and they should tell you. What engine is the chassis designed for, the one you're getting that is?

It's a 2b rolling chassis that I am buying from GBS that had taken it in as P Ex I believe. I believe the chassis was designed for a pinto.

Guest mower man

Please see post in engine choice elswhere ,is the 500 quid budget for the engine?, even if you go pinto it's not in my opinon enough unless youi find some one who is swapping for zetec etc and has aproven pinto to unload ! Iwish you well but think you may have to up your budget a bit regards mower man :unsure: :unknw: :good:

zetec is the way to go inmho to tune a pinto to go like a zetec and keep it reliable is excessive

a zetec from a scrappy will cost arround £150 with a decent t/ boddie and mapping arround 160 horses and it will be reliable .

graham