Removable Scuttle

Guest phil howard

Guest phil howard

What is the best way to make the scuttle removable.

Does the firewall and dash become removable with the scuttle or do they permanantly attach to the chassis?

Cheers

Phil

What is the best way to make the scuttle removable.

Does the firewall and dash become removable with the scuttle or do they permanantly attach to the chassis?

Cheers

Phil

hi mine is done that firewall is set in place . the dash is two part .but the outside one is fitted perm.then you do have to cut the inner dash two get around the clocks .then 3 bolt on each side to hold scuttle down hope this helps

Guest phil howard
hi mine is done that firewall is set in place . the dash is two part .but the outside one is fitted perm.then you do have to cut the inner dash two get around the clocks .then 3 bolt on each side to hold scuttle down hope this helps

Bone

I think I met you at Newark (just after I bought my kit).............I ma not sure what you mean regarding the inner dash or how that attaches to the scuttle.

Cheers

phil

Hi,

when i built my 2b i decided i didn't want the aligator bonnet so i chopped it so it was a scuttle and bonnet. I built a solid firewall with a 1inch return at the top which then has a sheet of steel that came off the top of the firewall and comes flat across to the tube that comes up over the dash. so at this point there is a firewall and a flat plate which is sitting across the top.

This allowed me to mount my windscreen wipers hanging under this plate and also the vents for the window from the heater matrix. I could then put the 2 halves of the scuttle over top of this sheet (sits about 1cm higher than the sheet) with the windscreen wiper spindles sticking up through the RH scuttle holes and the vents lining up with the vent holes. This means i have no screw heads/bolts stick through my scuttle as they are all secured to the lower hidden panel.

At the front of the RH scuttle i glued a strip of 1cm rubber so that when it is bolted down it sits on the firewall and leaves a nice ledge for the bonnet to sit on so it all lines up at the same level.

The dash i then made from hardboard to the correct shape but again fixed from behind so once i had covered the dash there were no bolts showing.

Hope that kind of makes sense.

found some pics.

can't seem to get the link from the attachment system to work put hopefully you can find the images from the url below

should be the completed scuttle

http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?act=...ost&id=7935

should be the dash

http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?act=...ost&id=8578

hth

Guest pencil

Hi Phil,

I wanted to make the scuttle completly removable, so heres what I did.

I replaced the battery tray with 3mm ally which I rivnuted to the chassis, I drilled the firewall lip

so that the rear of the battery tray sandwhiched the lip. I then drilled and rivnuted the scuttle lips where they mount to

the chassis, also modded the firewall so it fits over the master cylinder. Thats so far.

Plan.

To fit ally angle to inside of firewall and inner dash and fit ally plate to make a box so the inside upper edge of

the radius of outer dash meets it.

To make a u channel from the front of the tunnel top into the dash "space" to run the dash wires.

Steering under going thought!!

Planning to fit a carbon mods outer dash.

Also made the tunnel sides and top removable.

Hope it helps or makes sence!

Regards

John

got some pics from ages ago will get some more now its all done . as you have your dash it has two pieces inner and outer pic one inner that is fitted to scuttle .pic 2 is the other that is fitted to body of car this also will go towards the tunnel . sorry if you send your email addy i will send them that way coz pic upload is to big

post-3050-1263132548_thumb.jpg

Guest phil howard
got some pics from ages ago will get some more now its all done . as you have your dash it has two pieces inner and outer pic one inner that is fitted to scuttle .pic 2 is the other that is fitted to body of car this also will go towards the tunnel . sorry if you send your email addy i will send them that way coz pic upload is to big

Graham,

Thanks

My e-mail address is either phil_howard@btinternet.com

or

phil.howard@me.com

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Spencer Griffiths

Phil I am (Hopefully) going for a GRP suttle from GBS, they should be available in about 2 months time, as I am not at dash/scuttle stage yet I should be able to wait for them to be made. They are planing on producing a complete set of GRP panels for the whole car. I have a rear panel on order as well. Cheers Spencer

Guest phil howard
Phil I am (Hopefully) going for a GRP suttle from GBS, they should be available in about 2 months time, as I am not at dash/scuttle stage yet I should be able to wait for them to be made. They are planing on producing a complete set of GRP panels for the whole car. I have a rear panel on order as well. Cheers Spencer

That sounds interesting......

Phil

Phil,

I have just been out in the garage test fitting my firewall and scuttle and will be making every panel easily removable for easy access, All fixings into the chassis are rivnuts, the only down side is that it wont be water tight. Although I was thinking of edge trimming every panel so that the rubber seals it,

Hopefully I can work it so the whole lot lifts up to gain access from the underside.