Bonnet Guide

Guest Botbuilder

Guest Botbuilder

Here are some Stainless Steel bonnet guides I knocked up out 1/2" stainles threaded rod. They are 6mm thread x 10mm AF X 22 mm long.

They only took a couple of hours the knock up 8. The biggest problem was finding all the tools after not using the workshop for six months.

Any ideas for inprovement welcome.

After reading all the stuff about bonnets blowing off I'm quite tempted to make a forward tilting bonnet (nose cone included). If anyone has this type of setup on a 2b would they mind taking some decent pictures and posting them or emailing them to me.

Kind regards

Alan

:hi:

post-4117-1263296257_thumb.jpg

post-4117-1263296307_thumb.jpg

Hi Alan,

I heard the horror stories too, so went for a forward hinging bonnet during my build.

Click the highlighted text in the following link for some close up photos.

My Website

Let me know if you need anything further.

I nicked that idea for mine, works a treat :D

Guest peter2b2002

if you go to a tack shop or saddlery and ask for studs you can get some like the ones you made Alan but the threaded part is only about 10mm long, they shouldn't be more than 30p / 45p each, or do what I did and make a strap that goes over the bonnet like in the old days

peter2b

....is this wots called the aligator bonnet....

The term "Aligator Bonnent" is derived from the type that hinges as per the Robin Hood instructions - Scuttle, Bonnet & Nosecone all in one piece and hinging by the dash, so that the whole lot lifts from the very front and takes the winscreen with it too.

Guest Botbuilder
if you go to a tack shop or saddlery and ask for studs you can get some like the ones you made Alan but the threaded part is only about 10mm long, they shouldn't be more than 30p / 45p each, or do what I did and make a strap that goes over the bonnet like in the old days

peter2b

I was thinking of going for belt and braces. Hinged on the front with a subframe like Grizzly's and a strap up by the scuttle. I quite like the oldy appearance of using a strap.

Hi Alan,

I heard the horror stories too, so went for a forward hinging bonnet during my build.

Click the highlighted text in the following link for some close up photos.

My Website

Let me know if you need anything further.

Grizzly,

I found your site very interesting and useful. I intend to use this for my Zero can you post a picture of the hinge area please?

Regards

Mark

Guest Botbuilder
Grizzly,

I found your site very interesting and useful. I intend to use this for my Zero can you post a picture of the hinge area please?

Regards

Mark

Thanks Grizzly, very helpfull. A picture of the hinges would be nice if it's not too much trouble. Did you have to cut any of the nose cone away?

Kind regards

Alan :friends:

Thanks Grizzly, very helpfull. A picture of the hinges would be nice if it's not too much trouble. Did you have to cut any of the nose cone away?

Kind regards

Alan :friends:

Yes, I cut a hole for the framework on each side to reach each hinge using a hole saw on the underside of the nosecone, but it's not noticeable.

I'll post a pic or two tomorrow.

OK. Here's some pics which should hopefully show the hinge arrangement on my set up.

All pics are of the nearside hinge.

This is from the underside with the bonnet closed, showing how the framework goes through the drilled part of the nosecone.

post-1241-1263596623_thumb.jpg