Generator Problems

Guest erichetherington

Guest erichetherington

I have no power in my lock up and rely on a small portable 2 stroke genny. Today it failed to show any interest in starting, even after fitting a new plug and enlisting the muscles of my son (who plays front row).

Anybody got any ideas as to how to diagnose faults on these thing?

It is this type

http://dropshiponline.co.uk/product_info.p...roducts_id=1338

Thanks in advance

mine is a sod to start unless the fuel is given a good shake before you start it

guess is settles out a bit

how long since it last ran ?

has it got a spark ?

was the plug wet when you took it out ?

Guest erichetherington

Last ran 3, maybe 4, months ago. Started sweet as a nut then I couldn't believe it! Plug was wet which is why I changed it, I've also been told that Chinese plugs aren't the best in the world. Put a jump lead on the plug and back to the block and there was a spark but I'd have liked it to be a bit fatter.

Guest mcramsay
Might try both! Doubt I'll get a chance until next weekend, but I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the help.

check the gap of the plug aswell just one of those silly little things that can be overlooked and cause a headache! failing that if you have one use an engine calibration device (a large hammer) and you never know it might work :p :D

Guest mower man

Fresh fuel, clean or new plug , warm plug if the weather is really cold ,now to silly things does the choke work? have you still got the stop switch in the stop pos ,is the fuel mix correct ,believe me all of these probs can happen , has the engine been gassed up that much the crank case is partly full of fuel take, the plug out and turn the engine over vigourously with the fuel switched off to dry the thing out warm the engine with ahair dryer these are all tricks I have had to use in the past, is the ign system clean and dry , if all this fails then there is atechnical term for the prob the engine is -----d apply large hammer to it and consign it to the skip HTH mower man :crazy: 8P :unknw: :glare:

Guest erichetherington

Thanks for the help guys, as I said earlier won't get much chance to play until next weekend. But I have a cunning plan to sneak into the house to warm it up/make sure all the connections are nice and dry etc, cover me so she won't see it!

I'll keep you posted.

Guest mark kingston
Nice one Stephen i could do with either of those in my first mug of coffee :D

Mike

the problem with a lot of 2 strokes is that when they are left for a while the petrol in the carb evaporates and leaves the 2 stroke oil to gunze up the carb which then makes starting the thing a nightmare... after you get it running after a few minutes it will clear itself.

in future do as i do and shut off the fuel tap or drain the tank then restart it and run it till it cuts out and the carb is empty.

i have been doing this with all my 2 strokes for while and it works for me as they start a lot easier than they used to.

mark