Engine Running

peter_m7uk

Hi Lightweighters,

Great milestone yesterday, my engine ran!!! It last ran in early 2005 and I have since had it *completely* in bits, changed seals/bearings/core plugs, had a rebore, new pistons and rings, new camshaft/followers/springs. Basically, a major refurb.

Also, this is the first time I've ever stripped and rebuilt an engine, so I'm well chuffed to get it all back together :D Fired first time as well :D :D

Remaining jobs are: Front brakes and master cylinder, pedals, steering, remainder of wiring, wheel arches and nose cone.

May have left something out, but it's actually starting to feel like I can finish it! B)

Cheers,

Pete

• 3 weeks later...
Well done mate :D

Thanks, Daz :D Had the odd leak since, which I've gradually sorted out. I thought one oil leak was the head gasket :o , but realised it was the camcover gasket leaking directly above an exhaust port and oil was flowing around and streaming from below the flange :rolleyes: The other classic was when it started misfiring and I had terrible visions of a major problem :o I was actually about to run the tank dry, daft bu6ger!! :rolleyes:

well done

pete whats next on the to do list . ?

Thanks, Graham :D I'm currently looking at positioning the steering and pedals, but taking it carefully, as it's the sort of thing you want to get right first time! I got a good idea from Al Milton on mounting the steering column - Robin Hood suggest using a bent bracket with a bush set captured in the centre, to hold the column as it passes through the footwell bulkhead.

But I'm going to try Al's idea, where you use a captive bearing of the right diameter (see pic from his car). I think it's neater, stronger and you'll be able to place the bush much more accurately - And only costs a tenner :good:

Anything I should be aware of on the LW steering and pedals, do you reckon? Did you shorten your column a bit by knocking the collapsible part in slightly? I think it's necessary to get the right steering wheel placement. Also, how did you adjust your accel and clutch cables to get the pedals to sit where you wanted?

Cheers,

Pete B)

post-1247-1266236819_thumb.jpg