Fuel Tank Baffling

Guest bloke

Guest TerryBarry

Hmmmmm

How do you get the baffles into the tank through the two holes ?

I believe that some competition cars have foam filled tanks

These people seem to know something about it CustomFoams

How to get the fuel gauge to work in a tank full of foam could be a difficulty

I remember seeing F1 & F3 cars with foam in the master cylinder reservoirs to prevent surge - I don't think my 2B is going to exhibit that much g-force.

Terry

They generally have a different style of sender. They kind of resemble the low brake fluid sender in your master cylinder so they just need a vertical hole cut in the foam. You can get the senders from CAi for their range (They now manufacture Smiths guages so probably available for those as well). You can get the foam as a liquid (well two actually) and pour it into a tank andd cut the holes afterwards. No experience of the process but there must be a way to ensure that the foam isn't closed cell afterwards.

Iain

Hi I have only used half of the 1ft sq Foam I had fun getting that in as I have a so called swirl pot fitted in side the tank after pushing the foam through hole for sender/fuel pump (all one on dohc car) the foam sat in side the swirl pot after a lot of swearing and cut hands I manager to push it to clear the swirl pot and sender this sits in the swirl pot. So the fuel can not slosh back and forth so freely in the tank and stays in the swirl pot better. The foam now fillers about half of the tank. Well that is the idea. I can sell the rest of the foam if you need it.

Stephen Altwassser

I fitted a simple baffle to my tank.

It is made from a folded piece of stainless that goes from the back of the tank to forward of the pickup then goes to 1/2 inch from the left hand end. it is 3 inches high and has folded edges to give a larger area to attach to the tank wall and bottom.

I attached it with araldite as this is petrol resistant (most glues are not).

My pickup is near the left hand end of the tank.

When the tank is nearly full the baffle has little effect but when it nearly empty it traps a small amount of petrol when I turn hard left, when I turn hard right (or straighten up) it allows the petrol to feed normally

Ian

ian, that sounds good an youve answered another question ive had about araldite an petrol, have you had this set up for a while (an tested the araldite in petrol)?

guess you passed the baffle in through the hole? i was woddering about this or whether to make a larger flap which could be sealed with red gasket an rivetted strips...

anyone have any negative experiences of petrol sloshing around/ weight shift...?

A lot of us with 'older' cars have the RH petrol tank without baffles, and don't find it a problem, the problem only comes when you've got the injection engine fitted, and then if you fit some sort of swirl pot, you'll sort it.

(Please note: a baffled tank is obviously better, but I wouldn't go cutting into one so as to fit them, then having problems sealing it when it's not needed)

:unsure: just a thought so dont shoot me,many years ago i used to make and fly r.c aircraft,and due to the go any direction nature of ,say a stunt plane we used to fit what i called a clunk tank.

this had the fuel pick up pipe in the tank made from a semi flexible material with a weight at the end/bottom of the tank,so when moving about the end was allways in fuel.

or does that sound as stupid as it reads :wacko: