Monday Quiz

Peter Bell

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Modfather

14 years. Sorry to spoil it so early, grandad was a gunner in Lancasters and military planes are an interest, including the V range of bombers, Vulcan, Victor and the Valiant.

The Lanc was the plane of 617 sqdn for Op Chastise in 1943 when they were used in the bombing of the Ruhr dams.

The vulcan was only ever used in war situations in the Falklands war, and was Britains first ever aircraft to carry a nuclear bomb.

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Daz

Not acording to "Wikipedia"

"The Avro Lancaster was a British four-engined Second World War heavy bomber made initially by Avro for the Royal Air Force (RAF). It first saw active service in 1942,....."

"The Avro Vulcan is a delta wing subsonic jet bomber that was operated by the Royal Air Force from 1953 until 1984.........."

11 years. 41 and 52.

(Had to cheat to confirm seeing as a bun fight was on the cards :) )

One thing that surprised me was the top speed. I thought it was 0.98 but apparently according to Wiki it's 0.96 although there was a report of one doing 1.04 although this may have been wrong as no boom was reported.

The Vulcan is just about my favourite aircraft and seeing it fly over last years Wings and Wheels at Dunsfold was a joy.

Guest The Modfather
Hi Daz

Not acording to "Wikipedia"

"The Avro Lancaster was a British four-engined Second World War heavy bomber made initially by Avro for the Royal Air Force (RAF). It first saw active service in 1942,....."

"The Avro Vulcan is a delta wing subsonic jet bomber that was operated by the Royal Air Force from 1953 until 1984.........."

BUN FIGHT

Ian, the clue is in the original question, not when it first saw active service. In fact, active service for the vulcan was not until 1982 in the Falklands conflict.

Sorry, I had to look this up now myself. The Lancaster's maiden flight was 9th Jan 1941.

The prototype for the vulcan was actually known as the Type 698 and had it's maiden flight on 30th August 1952. This had straight leading edged wings. The Vulcan (as we all know it as), has a kink on the leading edge. This was the B1. The first production B-1 didn't have it's maiden flight until 4th Feb 1955.

I was wrong, it is infact 14 years and 26 days! :D :D :D

Guest The Modfather

The differences between the Type 698 and the Vulcan B-1

post-4086-1264436641_thumb.png

The first RAF Vulcan didn't come into service until 1956................ The prototypes, VX777, VX770 and the VX707 and Type 698 were never in military service. They remained purely as prototypes. The Vulcan was not even named in 1952. That happened in 1953.

Guest smartfazer

I remember seeing/feeling or rather experiencing a Vulcan taking off at North Weald at one of their fighter meet shows approx 20yrs ago.........absolutely awesome.

Guest Ian & Carole

Don't do "Bun Fights" :D :D

You ought to have lived here in Lincoln with them based at RAF Waddington and I belive Scampton also.

Seeing them over head on a daily basis :o

All we can look forward to now is watching the Red Arrows strutting their stuff in the air over Scampton, I some times stop on the way home from work to watch. :D

Guest The Modfather

Neither do I Ian :D :D :D I just use my night stick and CS spray :D :D :D

LOL, my parents live in N E Lincs as does my eldest brother, and we used to go to RAF Binbrook to see the jets take off, before it was closed down sometime in 1988. There was a road literally at the end of the runway and a parking area where the radio guys used to park up. We were standing on a wooden fence post when a Lightning took off, going above our heads at no more than 100 feet. You could feel the vibration go right through your body, and it would literally throw you off the post. The radio guys were p***ing themselves with laughter.

I get the Typhoon on an almost daily basis flying low and fast as its only based a few miles away at Conningsby, plus the Lancaster Spitfire and Hurricane plus a few other oldies from time to tme in the summer months and when flight testing or just the Lancaster doing fly pasts with their bomb doors open over the local memorials on set days as they have done for many years now.