Monday Quiz

Peter Bell

I'm glad there is so much interest in the Vulcan.

If you want to know more about 558 (the last flying one) then please check out the site.

http://www.site.vulcantothesky.org/

It costs a couple of million quid to keep this Lady going a year (nearly as much as the future ex-Mrs Knockie ;) ) which is all found by sponsorship and fund raising.

Worth a couple of quid a year?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a Vulcan at Southend airport, Essex. It has sat for years but is flyable, apparently. I used to drive past it everyday, and everyday I looked forward to seeing it, and was always amazed by it's majestic shape and size. A truly awesome bird that thankfully never got used for it's intended role.

That'll be XL426. Me and my Dad used to go up there regularly to see it. It's not flyable, unfortunately, only fast taxi-able, although they keep all the main systems including flying controls serviceable.

Well, when I say it's not flyable......I mean it shouldn't lift off during a fast taxi run as that contravenes so many CAA rules. If anyone asks, I would deny having a photo of such an event, of course :D

So glad to see the Vulcan back in the air - it's a pity more of the people who love to see it don't help with a small donation to keep her flying. Poor old Dr Pleming of the VRT has a heck of a job raising funds.

I think kitcar building and aviation interest go hand-in-hand for some reason.

• 3 months later...

Resurecting an old one I know, but need to share. After finding out about the lancaster taxi runs on here I really fancied doing it but recent job uncertainty put me off booking. Well, birthday yesterday and good old Mrs BAJ got me ride in a lanc. How chuffed am I! Next dates are in Oct, so a while to wait though. Bri