Facet Fuel Pump Wiring

Guest Top Cat

Guest Top Cat

Hi all, I have a facet silver top fuel pump and filter king to fit to my pinto running twin 40,s. problem is I dont have a wiring diagram, iI have searched the site for previous threads without luck.

Please can anyone link me to a diagram or draw me one out.

Thanks Trev

Guest Top Cat
Here is the one that comes with the Zero. It was designed for a Pinto engine. Hope it helps.

Thanks but I cant find anything of use on this drawing, I need specific wiring of the pump

First, you need to get a decent earth to the black wire on the pump. Then you need to run the red one (extended) to behind your dash. There you will need to fit a relay. On the relay you will see 4 terminals labelled 30, 87, 84 and 85. connect your fuel pump wire to 87. Find a good ignition + and connect that to 85. Then from a spare fuse (30 amp) connect that to 30. Or go direct to the battery but ALWAYS fuse it. The safest way to install and electric fuel pump is so that it doesn't come on if the engine is off, this is important if you are in a crash, the pump doesn't keep supplying fuel and presenting a fire hazard. Find your oil pressure switch, test whether it is earthed out when the engine is off or on. What you need is it to switch to earth when the engine is running, if yours doesn't, then buy one that does and install that along side your other one. T-piece e.g. Connect that to 84. This can be done via a Megajolt also. You will also need to get a push to make switch and wire that from a good earth to terminal 84. This is your priming switch. You won't need to use it normally as there is sufficient fuel in the float chambers to start it, but if you ever need to get more fuel in there, like when you first fire it up after the fuel pipes have been off, then you can over-ride the oil switch that way.

What we have effectively there is set up your fuel pump so it only operates when the engine is running, unless you use the over-ride switch. The relay ensures you aren't placing too much load on the ignition live circuit as it tends to be lower power rated than a permanent supply. There are other ways you can do it, as long as you can get a switched supply depending on whether the engine is running or not, this can be positive or earth, it just depends on what you find and connect them to terminals 84 and 85. If i remember correctly, 84 and 85 aren't polarity sensitive. It also pays to test it with a 12v bulb in place of the pump the first time you try it and always work with the battery disconnected.

Hope this helps.

Guest Top Cat
First, you need to get a decent earth to the black wire on the pump. Then you need to run the red one (extended) to behind your dash. There you will need to fit a relay. On the relay you will see 4 terminals labelled 30, 87, 84 and 85. connect your fuel pump wire to 87. Find a good ignition + and connect that to 85. Then from a spare fuse (30 amp) connect that to 30. Or go direct to the battery but ALWAYS fuse it. The safest way to install and electric fuel pump is so that it doesn't come on if the engine is off, this is important if you are in a crash, the pump doesn't keep supplying fuel and presenting a fire hazard. Find your oil pressure switch, test whether it is earthed out when the engine is off or on. What you need is it to switch to earth when the engine is running, if yours doesn't, then buy one that does and install that along side your other one. T-piece e.g. Connect that to 84. This can be done via a Megajolt also. You will also need to get a push to make switch and wire that from a good earth to terminal 84. This is your priming switch. You won't need to use it normally as there is sufficient fuel in the float chambers to start it, but if you ever need to get more fuel in there, like when you first fire it up after the fuel pipes have been off, then you can over-ride the oil switch that way.

What we have effectively there is set up your fuel pump so it only operates when the engine is running, unless you use the over-ride switch. The relay ensures you aren't placing too much load on the ignition live circuit as it tends to be lower power rated than a permanent supply. There are other ways you can do it, as long as you can get a switched supply depending on whether the engine is running or not, this can be positive or earth, it just depends on what you find and connect them to terminals 84 and 85. If i remember correctly, 84 and 85 aren't polarity sensitive. It also pays to test it with a 12v bulb in place of the pump the first time you try it and always work with the battery disconnected.

Hope this helps.

WOW, thanks very much for this help, I thought it was going to be an easy switch. I need to read this 50 times and sit in a dark room for a bit to stop my brain going into meltdown.

No seriously though I need to look at my hood a bit to see if Ive got the connections and feeds you mention.

Thanks again

Here's a simple wiring diagram. Remember, you need an oil pressure switch that is closed when the engine is running. They normally are closed when the engine has no oil pressure to turn the oil pressure light on so you may need to install another as I've said.

post-906-1264644234_thumb.jpg