Insurance For Young Drivers

Guest craig030774

Guest craig030774

hi spent last 3 years doing a 1990 mini cooper rsp for my lad who passed his test in dec 09 he turned 18 in nov but trying to get insurance is proving a nightmare . i am on a multi car policy with my partner so thought they may be reasonable £3k

any reccomendations as he is thinking of selling mini to buy a banger so he can afford insurance.

have thought about using mini myself for a year and for him to use ka but that coming in about £1500

am sick of typing in all info for websites to say sorry cannot quote

Guest Angel Boy

This isn't going to be much use, but the stories I here from work mean that insurance regardless of the car is pretty steep for new young drivers. Have you tried the pass plus scheme and if you can the advanced driver training as it all helps with discounts etc.

Andy

Guest micky bigthumbs

ive been away a long time but sometimes check the board. Try Adian Flux .. my daughter is 19 and had one bump ..her fault.. Flux insured her for £1200 fully comp on a 52 pug. and as a classic you might get cheeper.

Mick ( hiya all )

Guest docter fox

try moneysupermarket for any 'normal' car

with all of the special policies... the number of miles you put down for makes a very big difference in the premium, when I was 17 on the hood, I think if I doubled the mileage it just about doubled the premium!

for the mini, you're probably best off having a look through a few mini forums and maybe posting to see what they use?

Guest andybaker
hi spent last 3 years doing a 1990 mini cooper rsp for my lad who passed his test in dec 09 he turned 18 in nov but trying to get insurance is proving a nightmare . i am on a multi car policy with my partner so thought they may be reasonable £3k

any reccomendations as he is thinking of selling mini to buy a banger so he can afford insurance.

have thought about using mini myself for a year and for him to use ka but that coming in about £1500

am sick of typing in all info for websites to say sorry cannot quote

Hi, boys are a lot more to insure than girls, when my daughter was 17 her insurance on a ka was about £800 tried to insure the same ka for my son when he was 17 they wanted £1500, bought him a micra 998cc best quote i found for a start was £1109 limited to 6000 miles, put the info on tesco compare and got a quote for just under £600 so give them a go.

Andy

Guest andybaker
have the chance of a micra 998 or a clio 1.2 as well as ka and mini so going to be busy

Hi, just checked to see who the quote was from it was Quinn direct hope this helps

Andy

this may help you as it did for me;

put the car and policy in your name (as the parent with the no claims) add your son onto it, but as the MAIN driver - seems strange but its cheaper than if he was the occasional driver and the car in his name.

around 300 quid and this was with direct line on an old banger (literally!) and about the time they introduced no claims for additional drivers handly for when you want to start your own policy.

these days for older cars doesn't seem to matter that the car is only worth 100 quid or 1500 - still hard to find reasonable quotes even tho i'm older than 25. was forced to change insurance company after a hike of 150 quid (altho nothing compared when i shopped around!). i found footman james the best for offers plus you get breakdown for free, altho they can be alittle disorganised at times

the oddest thing i find is that to insure my RH 2B (1.6 litre pinto) is cheaper than my totally standard '98 fiesta (1.25 litre zetec S) which has airbags, immobiliser and factory alarm - which on-one seems to explain why

• 1 month later...
Guest craig030774

just over £500 for the year third party fire and theft. :D :D :D :D :D in his name as well equity red star through footman james :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

quoted £1100 for fully comp as well he is now taxed and on the road

post-1274-1267947616_thumb.jpg

Edited by craig030774