Zero Rear Suspension

Guest Spencer Griffiths

Guest Spencer Griffiths

Hi which way round does the rear suspension go please? I have a notch in one of the hub carriers. Also what way round does the brake cylinder go on each side? Is it left or right side.

Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi which way round does the rear suspension go please? I have a notch in one of the hub carriers. Also what way round does the brake cylinder go on each side? Is it left or right side.

Thanks

Hi,

The brake back plate will only fit the rear hub carrier one way as the mounting holes are assymetric about the centre line. So, line up the back plate with it's carrier and the wheel cylinders need to be forwards. This will ensure the leading shoe is doing it's job.

HTH,

Nick.

Thanks

ajustment to the bottom on springs looking at pic took cylinder goes to front

Slightly Left

jon

Hi Jon,

I think yours will be slightly to the left same as the Sierra due to being a 2B model.

The Zero is different and the back plate sits 90deg rotated from standard.

To ensure the leading / trailing shoes are correct,the cylinders are forward. This is forced due to how the hole pattern being assymetric in the hub carriers manufactured by GBS to match the Sierra hub housing and obviously, the carriers can only go one way.

I'll put a picture up as soon as i've turned mine around!! (It's my job of the day whilst the paint on the front hubs dry's).

Yep, i did mine wrong as well, ;) , thats why i'm confident in what i'm saying........ measure once, cut twice as they say. :blush:

Nick

Hi all,

Just had a thought as i read my own post above............

My opinion on how they go is assuming that GBS drill all the hub carrier's the same way round when they manufacture them??

Your thoughts??

Nick.

Guest zoomzoom

This is the n/s/r of mine, with the cylinder to the rear and the hand brake cable at the front. Is this wrong?

zero%20pics%20029.jpg

The o/s/r also has the cylinder to the rear of the car. It is possible to fit the hub carriers on the wrong side (i did at first) but i saw a GBS car at one of the shows and copied it.

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

I did mine as per some pics from GBS, BUT, i'm 99% certain they are wrong.

So much so, i've swapped mine to what i believe to be correct, that being wheel cylinders facing forward.

I studied the haynes manual (Sierra) and they have the cylinder at 11 o'clock and the handbrake cable coming in from the front side.

So if you rotate them by 90 degrees, bearing in mind they have to line up with the carrier GBS supply, the cylinders end up facing forward.

The only critical point is that the leading / trailing shoes are correct as per Fords design against wheel rotation.

Like i said, i've set mine like this as i believe i'm correct and GBS pics are wrong.

Yes, you could rotate the hubs from standard position as per Sierra 90 deg anti-clockwise which would put the cylinders at the rear, but the carriers won't allow this. (on mine anyway??? perhaps the carriers are drilled off randomly when made???) :crazy:

Regards,

Nick.

Guest Spencer Griffiths

I am thinking that the cylinder should be at the back of the car, this is how I have seen some pictures at GBS. I have e-mailed Richard about it and will post the reply when I get it. My rear hub cariers are drilled differently and one is marked with a notch at the bottom to show which side, (although I have forgotten what Richard said when picking up the kit). It also looks like the wishbones are handed as well. Any thoughts on this?

Guest chelcott

I agree ith findings from Nick sierra manual shows piston housing at approx 11o'clock for both 1.8 and 2.0 litre models (1982 to 1992 worshop manual) 1.3 and 1.6 models different make up of parts however piston is shown at approx 1 o'clock.

I'm no expert but can only report what I see, is it necessary piston position surely key is that lead shoe engages before trailing?

Guest mower man

OK if you fit the back plate to the hub carrier [complete with cyl and shoes as std ] unless you fit the o/s back plate to the n/s hub no matter how far you rotate it the leading shoe is still the leading shoe ok your difficulties would occur af ter 90 degs and would be pipe and h/brake cable runs!!! The back plate's are handed!!sofit them on the correct side a few degs will not matter HTH mower man :good: 8P :crazy: :search: :clapping:

Guest Spencer Griffiths

Spoke to Ricahrd at GBS today and he said the cylinder goes at the back of the car with the handbrake cable coming up from below. The hub carriers are handed as are the top rear wishbones. GBS have now got some small Grippel things to make shortening the handbrake cable easier as well.