Steering Shaft Clip

peter_m7uk

Hi All,

Just a daft little question. See the pics below of the steering shaft from the Sierra. There is a little castellated clip which goes on there in some way, but I forgot how and really can't decide! I think it slides onto the shaft after the spring, but do the castellated bits go toward the spring, or towards the steering unit with all the column switches (2 options shown in pics)?? I think this would affect how the the little bearing runs that allows the steering to swivel, so wanted to get it right...

Thanks,

Pete :D

post-1247-1265460200_thumb.jpg

post-1247-1265460223_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

Just a daft little question. See the pics below of the steering shaft from the Sierra. There is a little castellated clip which goes on there in some way, but I forgot how and really can't decide! I think it slides onto the shaft after the spring, but do the castellated bits go toward the spring, or towards the steering unit with all the column switches (2 options shown in pics)?? I think this would affect how the the little bearing runs that allows the steering to swivel, so wanted to get it right...

Thanks,

Pete :D

My thinking is that the castellated bits go toward the spring. There is a chamfered edge on the clip which I think probably locates into the bearing on the steering unit. I suppose that when you tighten up the steering wheel, this chamfered edge sits tight into the rotating ring on the bearing, allowing you to turn the wheel freely.

I just wanted a second opinion, or someone who can see how the clip locates on their car. :huh:

Cheers,

Pete B)

Hi Pete,

Can't say, but it does appear to be having the castellation facing the spring clip - is there a pic in a Haynes manual?

However there is a captive bearing arrangement available to allow you to dispense with the plastic steering shaft bearing thing.

I know others have fitted this, i'm still building and will dig out pics and post shortly, unless someone can offer pics and or part number/supplier in the interim.

Cheers

Al

Found pic, not as demonstrative as I thought though

post-1475-1265647692_thumb.jpg

Hi Al,

Just saw your post, but I did happen to look at the Haynes manual last night and there was a diagram in there! Why didn't I think of that earlier? :rolleyes:

Thanks for your tip on the captive bearing. I would be interested to know where I can get one from...

Cheers,

Pete :good:

Hi Al,

Just saw your post, but I did happen to look at the Haynes manual last night and there was a diagram in there! Why didn't I think of that earlier? :rolleyes:

Thanks for your tip on the captive bearing. I would be interested to know where I can get one from...

Cheers,

Pete :good:

Ask on NW forum. I'm sure someone on there does them

Nick

Guest smartfazer
Ask on NW forum. I'm sure someone on there does them

Nick

Is there such a beast?

I can find and have a link to the NW RHOCaR but cannot find the forum.

The bearing has a part number and a detailed supplier, so that should be straight forward. But where does one get the brackets from?

Steve

The bearing in Al's pic is a FS-SB 205 and the housing is 2 off PFL 205 one for either side of the bearing to form its housing.

Any local bearing supplier should be able to get it for you or look on line as i have seen them.

Bearing Linky

Houseing Linky

HTH a wee bit.

Mike