Sump Mods

Guest charliemi16

Guest charliemi16

Evening all,

I'm aiming to get my 2B done for summer. I'm sure I've seen some threads on here regarding sump shortenting on the pinto. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

Charlie

Guest craig030774
Evening all,

I'm aiming to get my 2B done for summer. I'm sure I've seen some threads on here regarding sump shortenting on the pinto. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

Charlie

its at the bottom of the engine

Guest Ian Maycock

Be careful when trying to sweat the strainer of the bottom of the pickup. Some are brazed on and come of quite easily however, other are more difficult. If it doesn't come off after a few minutes of heating the joint with a gas torch stop, cut it off and drill out the pipe. If you don’t and you apply to much heat the mesh can melt. This happened to me!!! I have to take one of the wife stainless steel sieves from the kitchen and cut out a new mesh for the pickup pipe. The rest is easy. Consider having the bottom plate and the side extension TIG welded rather than MIG it’s a much better job and less likely to have pin holes for oil to escape.

Iggy

Guest mower man

Hi differnt as usual I had MK mod my sump by extending the previously shortened bowl forwards instead of side ways [there is not enough room on a mono car to extend sideways ] the org downward sloping bit was drilled 6x half inch holes and relieved from the bottom face by half an inch this acts as a baffle /anti splash tray capacity is 4.5 litres which helps with cooling and has worked very well over the last 4/5 years INMHO it's the way to go regards mower man :good: :clapping:

Guest trackerjack

What an superb selection of pictures and guidance. The only thing I would do differently is use an angle grinder and a 1mm cutting saw because I am an engineer (toolmaker) and have had my fill of hacksawing and now I am lazy.

• 2 weeks later...

And of course, if you're not confident TIG welding (I wouldn't MIG it but am not saying it wont work) then you can always contact me.

We offer a shortening service where we will modify your sump and pick up for £90.

Send me a PM.

This is Bimboone's which we recently done.

post-1962-1267178917_thumb.jpg

Guest smartfazer
And of course, if you're not confident TIG welding (I wouldn't MIG it but am not saying it wont work) then you can always contact me.

We offer a shortening service where we will modify your sump and pick up for £90.

Send me a PM.

This is Bimboone's which we recently done.

Do you do Zetec Blacktops?

Steve