Only In America

Andi

how come the police can use them on a footpath when joe public can't, not allowed on the road either as no tax mot or insurance!

same as electric scooters the kids can get, can only be used on private land :(

get them on mini motos, that would be funny!

Guest The Modfather
UkCops.jpg

The fat guy has the wider wheels because he has two lunch boxes, rather than the lean lad who only needs one lunch box, simples!

Re Jamis's point, which is very valid, just wait until they hit someone. I think they are making a rod for their own backs with this one.

It would be interesting to know what driver level you have to be on one of these? I bet they handle like crap on ice, and I bet they only go to NHP teams and not response teams. They get all the toys :( Not that I would pilot one.

This really should have gone on the forum as a caption competition. Mine would be: It allows us to get around town quicker sir, and no, they are not post boxes on the side, they are ballast tanks to help fatty here get around corners quicker.

Guest The Modfather
The one on the left looks like a Girl to me/wearing gloves as well/ and has to be the off road version !!Link

Stephen

You'd have to be a girl to ride one :D The one on the left is actually a sergeant and he is with a Neighbourhood PCSO, so in answer to my earlier quote, they have gone to NHP teams!

Edit: Interesting to read on Stephen's link above, that these only have a 12 mile range and a top speed of 12 MPH. I remember as a police officer when you had to run after criminals. Even I could run quicker than 12 MPH. Why on earth do they want these? The picture is in a modern towm, which means it gets busy with shoppers, so they will never be as good as an officer on foot. My honest opinion, someone has won their next rank in an effort to make the police be more accepted by the public. Perhaps the public should be more accepting of the police and authority (when done legally of course) ;)

Is a very good point Jamie. I'm sure Lembit Opik would agree with you after feeling the wrath of the law after attempting to ride his Segway to the H of P!

May be its time that the powers that be look in to ways of making these thing legal to use in our towns instead of putting up barriers. Lets face it if you came up with the idea of a tin box powered be a highly flammable and explosive liquid that could reach speeds well in excess of 100 mph would it be allowed in the world now. I dont really see my self on one but if they cut congestion and pollution should we not be encouraging these things, also we need the petrol for our cars :D

i thought that it was actually legal to ride an electric vehicle on the pavement as long as it doens't go more than 15mph? otherwise how do the invalid carts get to drive on the pavements? although i have heard many contrary stories on this one.

There was a guy who sold go-peds in gloucester that used to take it on the train and ride it to work on the pavements and he got pulled by the police but took it to court and it was found that he was within the law. that was a couple of years ago though.

Anyone know the official laws? or are there different bylaws that govern these types of things?

Guest Dan_Beeston

Not really sure what these are for, other than a bit of fun, but if you ever get chance to have a play on one you really should!

Very clever piece of fairly pointless technology :)

I really cannot see the point of this.

If I saw a copper walking around town I am happy and reassured but seeing them on these things make them look like clowns. It's all about perception and these look bloody silly.

What next? Motorised Skateboards?