Robin Hood Series 7 Triumph Dolomite Build

Guest alan palmer

Guest alan palmer

Hi all this is my first post so apologies for what will seem a stupid question but here goes. There is a Robin Hood (Dolomite Build) for sale locally but is minus an engine, gearbox and seats. Is there any other engines that will fit in reasonably easy or does it have to be a Triumph.

Thanks in advance

Guest chris brown

First question. Has the car been on the road and registered? If so is it registered correctly on the V5 i.e. Robin Hood 2 seat sports rather than a triumph 4 door 5 seat saloon?

If the answer to any of the above is no, then walk away the work required to get it through IVA isn’t IMHO worth the effort

I the answers to the above is "yes" in each case Then yes the choice is yours, Pinto, Vauxhall Red top, Zetec either silver or black top. All these will mate up to a type 9 box but the Vauxhall will need a different bell housing.

I have an Triumph based S7 which I built using a Ford crossflow engine and type 9 trans.

Just needed to make up some engine mounts which sit on the chassis rails, pretty straight forward.

Positioning the engine was the tricky bit.

Guest trackerjack

You can see what I drive on track days normally and its 170 bhp sure lets itself felt.

MyHood has a Pinto and needs a fortune to achieve the same power as a standard sprint by then the Pinto is drinking fuel. The Triumph lump is not as tough as a Pinto though.

Guest cheesewr
Hi all this is my first post so apologies for what will seem a stupid question but here goes. There is a Robin Hood (Dolomite Build) for sale locally but is minus an engine, gearbox and seats. Is there any other engines that will fit in reasonably easy or does it have to be a Triumph.

Thanks in advance

Hi Alan,

Was the car you mentioned in Falkirk by any chance? I've just acquired one in exactly this condition - collecting it this weekend. Have also bought a Triumph Straight Six to go in it, although admittedly it was a blind purchase - no idea what engine mounts are in the car.

May be going back on eBay if it doesn't fit...

Best,

Tom

Guest mower man
Hi Alan,

Was the car you mentioned in Falkirk by any chance? I've just acquired one in exactly this condition - collecting it this weekend. Have also bought a Triumph Straight Six to go in it, although admittedly it was a blind purchase - no idea what engine mounts are in the car.

May be going back on eBay if it doesn't fit...

Best,

Tom

I think you may have a bit of aWRESTLING match on your hands when you try to get aTriuph 6 into the engine bay but good luck anyway :crazy: 8P :good:

Guest cheesewr
I think you may have a bit of aWRESTLING match on your hands when you try to get aTriuph 6 into the engine bay but good luck anyway :crazy: 8P :good:

Maybe not - see the photo here - http://ping.fm/p/jbGh2 - , which shows the first test fitting today after getting both car and engine home late last night. Drops straight in! Might need a little tweak around the starter motor and the alternator will need to move over to the other side, but other than that it seems like a fairly simple fit. Just need to fabricate some new engine brackets (he says, mock confidently).

Bloomin heavy lump, and I have a pinto just in case it doesn't work out. But there is something enormously appealing about a straight six in a dolly-based machine... dream dream...

Bad news is that I think the car as a whole needs a lot of work to get it IVA-worthy (thought it had been on the road before but now not so sure). But I'm in no rush.