Rh Newbie: What Are The First Things To Do?

Guest cheesewr

Guest cheesewr

Last night I won an eBay auction for what I think is a Dolomite-based monocoque S7. I know, buying blind probably bad but hey-ho it was cheap.

Anyway, it lacks seats, engine and gearbox, and I'm not sure how long it has been off the road.

This being my first car project, I'd appreciate nuggets of wisdom from any other S7 owners.

Specifically:

- the identification guide highlights a problem with the front suspension bushes - can these be uprated for polyurethane?

- I'm thinking of putting in a straight 6 and overdrive box - was this the original engine/box combo?

Also, I have to collect the car from Falkirk. Does anyone have recommendations for trailer hire or a trailering service?

Look forward to properly joining the RHO community.

Tom

Blimey, you have your work cut out. My mate has a Mono and said it would be very difficult getting it through IVA.

Best thing might be to get it home and see if anyone's local to you that fancies a cuppa.

Might suggest looking at a 2.1 pinto lump and gearbox as an alternative to the Triumph unit. Lot more common and easier for parts.

Bushes are a nightmare on the original dolly suspension. However, there are loads of owners around to help with that.

Good luck :)

Guest cheesewr
Hi tom and Welcome. :D were are you in the uk

I'm in Manchester - Burnage to be precise. If anyone had any suggestions of the best/cheapest way to get a car from Falkirk to here, they would be greatly appreciated!

Guest cheesewr
Blimey, you have your work cut out. My mate has a Mono and said it would be very difficult getting it through IVA.

Best thing might be to get it home and see if anyone's local to you that fancies a cuppa.

Might suggest looking at a 2.1 pinto lump and gearbox as an alternative to the Triumph unit. Lot more common and easier for parts.

Bushes are a nightmare on the original dolly suspension. However, there are loads of owners around to help with that.

Good luck :)

The IVA is definitely a worry - worst case is I'll get it running and sell it on having learned along the way. Do want something I can drive on the roads ideally.

That said, not sure if it's going to need an IVA: it has been running and road-registered at some point apparently, albeit it has long been stripped of its engine. The current owner doesn't have the logbook but my first approach will definitely be to the DVLA to get its history.

Definitely considering the pinto route - actually only came across this car while looking for a part-built Locost chassis with that engine/gearbox combo in mind. However there is something appealing about going back to this kit's dolly roots.

If anyone is in the South Manchester area and fancies a cuppa next week to take a look at my bargain/foolishness, I'd be very appreciative.

Guest cheesewr
You'll have a right result if it's down as a RH on the Log. Save you all sorts of bother :)

I do like the Tubs but you have to be a little careful with them.

Would be nice to have it with the 2.0 6 in :)

Then you'll be glad to hear that in my continuing period of madness I just bought a 2 litre 6 on eBay. With overdrive box. Clearly needs a lot of work, but it's a start...

Now must do something sane - like get my expenses in so that I can pay for all this nonsense.

Not as bad as you may think, IVA is not that different to SVA and my S3a passed July 2008.

My main modifications were seat belt mountings and upper seat belt mount height, roll bar strength, seat supports, steering column support, pedal box support. Rest is the usual sound, emissions and sharp edges.

Guest cheesewr
01613302928 this was a trailer firm that a friend told me about ment to be good, iam in rochdale

Thanks Jobo - just hired one from Fletcher's Trailers in Ashton for £30 for the weekend. £100 for a tranny van with a towbar (from County) and I'm set for my roadtrip at the weekend: Manchester to Selby (to collect the straight six), to Falkirk for the car, then back down to Manchester again.

Now I just need to finish clearing the garage...