Round Britain Run For Charity

Guest gdc

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this idea, I will be up for helping where I can but may not have the car built so only in body I'm afraid.

Perhaps a call of duty style request for hoodies in each area in the next newsletter so this goes out to the ones who dont get on the net?

We could even have a "where's wally" kind of thing for Robin hood spotters. Ok I'm getting caried away now but you know the kind of thing.

cheers phil for the support

we need to make a decision where to start it and where it should finnish and when .

let me know if you are interested in participating , i will buy the bear and should the committee wish to support the event

i shall retain the recipt for the bear and the costume ,

if in the event that the committee do not wish to support this event then so be it .

so local guys and galls in areas please talk to me to organise the start of the event as we have no support from the committee .

i am 1 person so please be patient , kev ie qwerty will help .

so ideas please where to start .

graham

Hi Graham,

Great idea, which we will support witha donation or in a practical way if needed. We are Hoodless but happy to help behind scenes up in the north - if the bear needs relocating we often get down to Liverpool the North East and up into Scotland, he could sit in the back of the car with the blacked out glass or for extra publicity be strapped to the roof bars :D if anyone wants to lend us a Hood we can do John O'Groats via Falkirk wheel in about 5 hours from here!

Keep up the good work -once organised drop us a quick note and we'll send some cash- don't be frightened to remind me;)

atb

Mike

It does seem like you're having a go at "the comittee" without a good reason. You've suggested an idea which I happen to think is a good one but......

You need to remember that this forum is by no stretch of the imagination the whole club so there are a good few members who don't know anything about this yet.

Despite the positive comments so far you have not got enough people to get the thing around the coast yet (although I think it should be perfectly do-able with a bit of organisation).

As for "no support from the club"... WE are the club - not just the comittee so yes it looks like there have been offers of support from the club already.

From my point of view I'd suggest this is the point where some specifics need to be laid down. There have been quite a few suggestions from people as to what the fluffy thing can do but in order to get people behind it and maybe to get the public to part with pennies there needs to be a stated objective. I think the first post suggested a coastal trip but we've then had suggestions of visiting castles/landmarks/cities. Which is it going to be? it all sounds fairly random at the moment which is fine in this format as people are throwing ideas into the pot but at some point some of these ideas need to be chosen and other discarded. Another idea for the pot here is that some of these ideas could be used in subsequent years.

If we say that a coastal tour is the chosen route then I'd suggest looking at the areas and contacting the secretaries of areas with a stretch of coastline to see if they are willing to take responsibility for the thing from one end of their patch to the other. They will know their members and be able to say whether they can organise it as a club run or whether it's going to fall on them. They will also hopefully know the adjoining area's secretary and members and know whether they will easily be able to arrange to hand the thing off to them at the border of their area and how long it's going to take to get it from one end to the other of their patch. It might well be possible for them to drive their coastline in one day but meeting the bordering groups on both sides on that same day might not be do-able so it might arrive in their area one weekend and leave the next or it might be stuck for a couple of weeks. There are going to be areas where we simply don't have many members (the very North of Scotland comes to mind here but there may well be others) if we really want to get around these areas then it's going to have to be arranged to co-incide with someone being free to drive these areas. I'm thinking that whilst the coastal tour sounds good it's maybe a bit ambitious to start with so....

It might be better to drop the coastal tour for the first hit - maybe choose a well known place/landmark (or two for the larger areas) in each area and arrange for the thing to visit all these on it's first trip. This gives a chance for the publicity to show that we have a good spread of members in most of the country and will hopefully allow us to show pictures of something familiar/local for many prospective members. It gives the area secretaries more room for manouevre on the logistics front since the handovers don't have to be such a big event so if the weather or people's free time isn't playing ball someone could jump in their tin-top and drive to the house of an adjoining member to pass it off. Obviously it would be good for it to visit the shows so their locations and schedules would have to be taken into account.

Once we've had some practice and got a practical idea of what's involved the coastal trip could be one for a future year. We then also choose whether to raffle the thing at the end of the year or whether it becomes a club fixture for future trips.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Iain

Guest Ian Marr

I got really interested in this thread as sounds like a good idea and one loads of people could get involved with :good:

Interested to see where this goes - just not as interested as I was :rolleyes:

Interesting idea that Graham and and count me in. I have a couple of ideas :)

Problem with these things though is setting something that is achievable and has enough support without biting off more than can be chewed.

Probably best to keep it separate from the club as the club needs to represent it's members and not charities. Start moving away from the clubs bylaws and principles and it needs a quorum of members to carry it which would normally need to be agreed at the AGM. HOWEVER, as these things gather pace, I am sure the right people will lend a hand if you know what I mean. ;)

Pick a Teddy, or a Dog, or a Gerbil, pick a Charity and see who's interested in coming along for the ride. Then just see how it goes and who knows, the 2011 one may be a bit more official.

Guest Ian & Carole

Graham

"ROUND BRITAIN BEAR"

Yes it is a brilliant idea. Well done

My thoughts for what they are worth

Yes the club could buy the bear and any kit needed.

The bear could be introduced to the membership at Stoneleigh ?????? the biggest show we attend......

Some one takes the Bear away with them and he has started his trip..

I will produce a "LOG BOOK" if wanted, that goes every where with him, the keeper of the Bear fills in the log with all dates and journeys completed, so as he passes from area to area we know by the end where he has been with suitable photos.

The keeper of the Bear arranges to forward him on to the next keeper and so on.

No reason why he couldn't travel abroad in the summer and get a tan or go sking in the winter all with photos obviously.

The Bear spends all year on his travels and is returnd to Stoneleigh in May 2011....?????? too long ????

At this point the now "Tatty Teddy" along with his travel log could be auctioned or raffeled off to raise a few more pounds ?????

In fact, he could begin and end at the Start finish line of Dunsfold Circuit and see how many miles he can travel in a year. How about that?

All we need to do is a Just Giving page and then advertise it on Facebook, Twitter once it's up.

If someone wants to create a web page somewhere to show the progress of Hoodie then even better.