Too Much Gas?

Guest stewstar73

Guest stewstar73

I bought a Superspec last year. This was fitted with a 2.0 Pinto bored out to 2.1. I love the car but cannot understand how people can go on road trips. The most I have got out of a full tank (24 quid) was 85 miles, surely this is abnormal as I didn't go over 3000RPM to see if my driving style was to blame. It has new plugs and filter. Any advice would be really useful.

Stewart

I bought a Superspec last year. This was fitted with a 2.0 Pinto bored out to 2.1. I love the car but cannot understand how people can go on road trips. The most I have got out of a full tank (24 quid) was 85 miles, surely this is abnormal as I didn't go over 3000RPM to see if my driving style was to blame. It has new plugs and filter. Any advice would be really useful.

Stewart

What carb are you running ? if it is a 38dgas that could have something to do with it. also check all the timing etc, are the plugs really sooty ?

I get between 25 and 35 to the gal from my bike carb pinto

Guest Tim Norman

I can manage 30-35 on a run and thats with a 4L V8!

My previous Hood, BOB, which had 2.1L twin 45's and a very lairy cam used to have a similar thirst if tickled on a run.

I would suggest a tune up! What diff, wheels etc are you running with?

Hi,

As Dan says if using a 38DGAS Weber it can be a bit thirsty. I have one fitted to my 2.0l pinto and was getting 20-25 per gallon. Also kept getting overfuelled/ flooding on low rev's. My pinto uses a mechanical pump, however I checked fuel pressure and it was way too high (Weber tyically only needs approx 3 psi. I have since fitted a fuel regulator which has stopped it flooding and reduced my fuel consumption (now around 30 mpg)

cheers

Terry

Guest mower man

You should be getting 25 /28 sounds like you need a tune/set up , perhaps alittle re jettiing?,the 38 dgas can be areal ballbreaker but v good when you get it right regards mower man :unknw: :good: :crazy:

Guest Alan_builder

Hi Stewart,

3000 rpm in top is fast. your run need to be below 60 and nearer 50 Mph. The hood is totally not aerodynamic so over 70 the fuel consumption rockets.

The carb boys are correct, fuel pressure flooding carb, jets and leaks.

If your car is injected there are other problems which can occur so we need to know more details.

I :wub: my :rhsc:

A night out has cost me much more and with fewer smiles at the end of it, so its far cheaper and more rewarding in smiles and great feelings even if the tank is almost dry at the end of an exhilerating happy days run out in the Hood.

If you can see the fuel gauge slowly heading to m/t you know you are having fun :D :D :D even more so when when airborn after hump back bridges and the like :D :D :rolleyes: then you realy know you have built a goodun.

Fuel is only a means to a very smiley joyfull end product :D a true sports car.

Who worries about fuel consumption, its a sports car!!

People like me who have put so much fuel in the oil in only 1200 miles that the mains went on a 2.1 that cost me a fair penny.

Now building another and budgeting for a rolling road session.

Guest stewstar73

I am near Middlesbrough. I bought the car from Ian Kippax (he went to every Newark it seemed). It has a Piper 285 Magnum II high lift. There is no sooting up of the plugs. The wheels are 14inch. 28 mpg instead of 12 would be great. Only spotted one other RH in the area. I had problems with run on initially but managed to solve these (and learn a fair bit in the process)

Guest mower man

A hairy cam and every were at 3000 I'm not suprised your mpg is horrific Iknow you say plugs are not sooted but is the sump level coming up and the engine oil smelling of fuel? see Snapperpaul's post ,does the engine pull well ?or is it lumpy low down and get better further up the rpm rangeas Iposted earlier a full tune up /poss rejet / rolling road session would be my firstline of attack .Thre are a tweaks I have found with the degas which could perhaps help get intouch an dI'll pm them to you ok regards mower man ;) :good: :crazy: