Judder Moving Off And Reverse

Guest mac39

;)

After approx 1hr run car judders seems to be from rear as i let of the clutch in either first forward or reverse, i have renewed gearbox mount and have checked prop shaft bolts are tight once car is moving there is no judder through the gears, it feels to me like something lose at the back but i have checked everything has anyone had the same problem or can anyone help, the problem is intermittant. Thanks Ian Mac 2bplus.

I'm currently investigating what sounds like the same problem - a judder when pulling away, which feels like it would shake the whole car to pieces if you don't catch it by dipping the clutch or giving it a lot more beans. Only seems to happen when everything's quite hot.

I've got the engine out to have a good look at the clutch, and while I'm at it I've taken the gearbox and prop out too just to make sure everything's ok. Bit of a ball ache but that's hoodying. :rolleyes:

Also, it might just be masking the problem, but I'm going to fit much stiffer engine and gearbox mounts when I finally bolt it all back together.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the judder feels like it's coming from the gearbox/prop area on mine. No vibration through clutch pedal.

Edited by Joel

I've suffered this intermittantly since I built the car. I've eliminated the possibility of this being a melting clutch cable, and it doesn't always happen. Sometimes the engine can be red hot after a long run on a summers day and it's fine then another day it will judder like hell. I have no idea to this day what causes it so if anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them!

Hi Ian

Any vibration on the clutch pedal? If plate weak can cause vibration and could be transmitted through the prop etc.

Just an idea.

HTH

Ian H

Hi ian there is no vibration at all on the clutch thanks

ian mac

I'm currently investigating what sounds like the same problem - a judder when pulling away, which feels like it would shake the whole car to pieces if you don't catch it by dipping the clutch or giving it a lot more beans. Only seems to happen when everything's quite hot.

I've got the engine out to have a good look at the clutch, and while I'm at it I've taken the gearbox and prop out too just to make sure everything's ok. Bit of a ball ache but that's hoodying. :rolleyes:

Also, it might just be masking the problem, but I'm going to fit much stiffer engine and gearbox mounts when I finally bolt it all back together.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the judder feels like it's coming from the gearbox/prop area on mine. No vibration through clutch pedal.

Hi, joel it sounds like you have hit it on the head spot on do you think it could be the rear sub

frame bushes i put brand new G ,box mount on mine

thanks mac.

I've suffered this intermittantly since I built the car. I've eliminated the possibility of this being a melting clutch cable, and it doesn't always happen. Sometimes the engine can be red hot after a long run on a summers day and it's fine then another day it will judder like hell. I have no idea to this day what causes it so if anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them!

Hi, enforcer will let you know if i fix mine thanks ian mac

My dads j-reg Transit (2ltr pinto) does exactly the same thing as has for years now. dunno why but as said if you just drop the clutch again and bit more power it smooths out. It actually got better for a long time but ive noticed it more recently again.

Often due to a cooked clutch cable. Only way to check is remove the cable and test. Can you push and pull the inner through the outer with finger and thumb. Shouldn't require any force. If not then change it.

Nigel

Hi, longboarder clutch cable is fine and smooth thanks mac

;)

After approx 1hr run car judders seems to be from rear as i let of the clutch in either first forward or reverse, i have renewed gearbox mount and have checked prop shaft bolts are tight once car is moving there is no judder through the gears, it feels to me like something lose at the back but i have checked everything has anyone had the same problem or can anyone help, the problem is intermittant. Thanks Ian Mac 2bplus.

Can you describe what you mean by judder?? is it more a noise than a case of feeling it?? or vice versa?? Trying pulling off with the handbrake on just a couple of clicks, this will preload your diff to eliminate if the crown wheel and pinnion have back lash.

Nick.