Ignition Fault Pinto 2lt

Guest shopsmith

Guest shopsmith

Just bought my first ever kit car. Its a 2b with a 2lt pinto. The car ran great when I viewed it. Bought it home on my trailer and now won't run. It starts on the key but when you release the ignition key it cuts out. It has electronic ignition from the doner sierra (I think). Have tested supply at the ign barrel and thats ok. Not sure how to test at the electronic ignition or the coil? Anyone have any suggestions?

Guest chris brown

If it's injected then try the fuel pump relay or the signal to it. The pump should run for 1/2 a second when you first switch the ignition on then start again once the engine is running. If the pump relay is not getting a run signal then the engine will start ok but stop as soon as the pressure drops.

Guest peter2b2002

my efi 2ltr did the same engine ran with the key turned but stopped when i released the key, lucky I was out side a motor factors for the bits- hot wired the fuel pump -live -fuse- switch- pump, been like that for 4 years now still going strong, never did find the original fault

peter2b

Guest zoomzoom

Make sure you have electronic ignition and not points. If you have points it could be a fault with the ballast resistor, also if the car is new to you just make sure the previous owner didnt fit a cut out switch as an anti theft device. look for extra wiring to the ignition coil or a hidden switch.

good luck

Guest shopsmith

Thanks for all the replies. It has an electronic ignition module marked 83BB and a carburettor. I've tried running a positive supply straight to the coil but it still cuts as soon as the key is released. If you hold the starter motor on with the key it runs fine.

Guest Techmage
Thanks for all the replies. It has an electronic ignition module marked 83BB and a carburettor. I've tried running a positive supply straight to the coil but it still cuts as soon as the key is released. If you hold the starter motor on with the key it runs fine.

Are you sure it's actually running at all, or is it just firing as the startermotor turns it over. Normally the starter motor would be destroyed in pretty short order if you held it on with the engine actually running as the engine would over rev the starter and burn it out.

So ignition components as in the picture. Carburetor and mechanical fuel pump. You need to find out if its got fuel. Simplest way is to give it fuel by pulling off the air cleaner and pouring two teaspoonfulls (10ml) straight down the carburettor and trying to start it. If it's a no fuel problem then the engine will roar into life for about five seconds on that shot of fuel.

If that doesn't happen then I would be thinking no spark when ignition key in run position. This could be faulty ignition switch electrical bits. They go on the barrel of the ignition switch, other end from the key. Pic of one below. Failure of circuit from switch position 2 to the inductive module or failure of circuit from module to dizzy. Test with meter at coil positive and at inductive module with ignition in position 2 and you should have 12v at each.

Nigel

post-21-1267013119_thumb.jpg

post-21-1267013147_thumb.jpg