Cheap New Zetec

Guest gixerboy600

Guest gixerboy600

Has anyone found anywhere cheaper than GBS to purchase a new blacktop zetec 2.0L engine, I am picking up the kit on Saturday (hopefully) and just short of what I need to buy from them (£750) does anyone know of anywhere???????

Cheers

John

Reason want new is so I get new reg after IVA, otherwise would buy recon or used.

Has anyone found anywhere cheaper than GBS to purchase a new blacktop zetec 2.0L engine, I am picking up the kit on Saturday (hopefully) and just short of what I need to buy from them (£750) does anyone know of anywhere???????

Cheers

John

Reason want new is so I get new reg after IVA, otherwise would buy recon or used.

Sure there engines were £650 not so long ago

New reg only allows one part to be second hand but this has to be re-conditioned to as new condition, so what gearbox / diff / hubs /steering column /brakes / wiring / wheels / etc are you planing on using?

New reg is not easy to get and very expensive

Steve

Guest carl leonard
New reg only allows one part to be second hand but this has to be re-conditioned to as new condition, so what gearbox / diff / hubs /steering column /brakes / wiring / wheels / etc are you planing on using?

Steve

There's a place in Coventry (I'll try and find the supplier name) who sells brand new Zetecs for £650.

Alternatively, go to a good breakers (Intapart in Northampton are good) and pick up a low mileage engine. Mine came from this supplier 7000 miles on clock for £400. Richard at GBS sourced a good engine with only 1000 Miles for around the same money.

There's always a bargin out there if you are prepared to look.

Happy hunting!

carl.

Guest gixerboy600

Steve

Hi Steve,

Was led to believe by GBS (hopefully not incorrectly) that if I used new engine and recon box then I would get new reg, was planning to buy recon parts to replace all but the hubs and diff but get mechanic friend to invoice these as recon but do in spare time??????????

Would appreciate feedback as I have not built a kit for best part of 15 years now.

Cheers

John

Guest oddsocks
Hi Steve,

Was led to believe by GBS (hopefully not incorrectly) that if I used new engine and recon box then I would get new reg, was planning to buy recon parts to replace all but the hubs and diff but get mechanic friend to invoice these as recon but do in spare time??????????

Would appreciate feedback as I have not built a kit for best part of 15 years now.

Cheers

John

If you bought a kit from them tell them you want engine cheaper than that-after all you will be spending alot more money with them in the long run! Just take what cash you have and tell thats all you got left in budget and you will take it there and then-surely not gonna moan over £100 quid when you just spent £4-5k!!

Good luck and let us know.

There's a place in Coventry (I'll try and find the supplier name) who sells brand new Zetecs for £650.

That'll be Power Torque Engineering www.powertorque.co.uk

Herald Way,

Binley,

Coventry CV3 2RQ

United Kingdom

Telephone:

Head Office:

024 7663 5757

John

to get a new registration number you are only allowed one used component, that has been reconditioned to the manufacturers original specs.

You'll need a new engine, fuel system - probably something like Jenvey throttle bodies and megasquirt/emerald ecu, catalytic converter, new diff, drive shafts, prop shaft, steering rack and column, new brakes all round, hubs front and rear and front uprights.

The zero comes with steering rack, prop and rear uprights, as well as some other new parts, depending on the spec of the kit you buy.

I would think if you had things like the front uprights and all the hubs, driveshafts etc properly blasted and refinished you may be able to pass them off as new, just have some sort of receipt buried in the massive pile you present to prove you 'bought them new'

New reg obviously means much tighter emmisions testing and not really any scope to play about later as you'll need to meet them when the MOT comes round too.

Guest gixerboy600
John

to get a new registration number you are only allowed one used component, that has been reconditioned to the manufacturers original specs.

You'll need a new engine, fuel system - probably something like Jenvey throttle bodies and megasquirt/emerald ecu, catalytic converter, new diff, drive shafts, prop shaft, steering rack and column, new brakes all round, hubs front and rear and front uprights.

The zero comes with steering rack, prop and rear uprights, as well as some other new parts, depending on the spec of the kit you buy.

I would think if you had things like the front uprights and all the hubs, driveshafts etc properly blasted and refinished you may be able to pass them off as new, just have some sort of receipt buried in the massive pile you present to prove you 'bought them new'

New reg obviously means much tighter emmisions testing and not really any scope to play about later as you'll need to meet them when the MOT comes round too.

HHHHhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, new reg not as straight forward as I was led to believe by Ian then!!!!!!!

Q plate here I come, budget won't stretch to brand new was planning to exchange most stuff for recon parts ie:- calipers, drive shafts, and just change the seals and lube in the diff.

Guest Alan_builder
HHHHhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, new reg not as straight forward as I was led to believe by Ian then!!!!!!!

Q plate here I come, budget won't stretch to brand new was planning to exchange most stuff for recon parts ie:- calipers, drive shafts, and just change the seals and lube in the diff.

Get a donor car and then you can have an age related plate, much better than a "Q".

None of the parts are marked with serial numbers so sell the donor on afterwards if you don't use the parts.

^^ As Alan says.

Get the right Donor and avoid emissions restrictions then just drop your blacktop in and flog the old engine.

Age related plate doesn't mean too much on Kit Cars as it's about Build date, Quality and mileage. If you have a L reg or a 2010 with a brand new Blacktop, it wont make too much difference.

Personally, I wouldn't want a Q but some don't mind them. Bit of a stigma to them IMHO.