4 Seped To 5 Speed Gearbox In 2.1 Pinto

Guest jamespacker

Guest jamespacker

hi there,i've just popped my robin hood cherry! but i have cheated a little and gone and bought an already built car. anyway,its got a 2.1l pinto with a 4 speed box. any advantage of putting on a 5 speed? is it a straight swap??? cheers guys,james

think the rear mounting point is a little further back, as is the back of the box

pretty sure the propshaft lenght is about the same, so a fairly simple swap

you may have to alter the speedo drive to keep the speedo right, depending on how your speedo is driven

Guest Alan_builder
hi there,i've just popped my robin hood cherry! but i have cheated a little and gone and bought an already built car. anyway,its got a 2.1l pinto with a 4 speed box. any advantage of putting on a 5 speed? is it a straight swap??? cheers guys,james

Hi James,

As Dave R says the rear mount on the gearbox is in relocated due to 5th gear. Did you say it was a 2B in your other post? Some cars have alternative mounting points but the 2B is a do it yourself job, drill and rebolt.

I expect you will find the rear exit splined shaft has 2 less splines so it won't fit 23 or 21 I think. The length of the propshaft is OK but the fitting mating to the gearbox splines may need changing.

Again the input shaft may have different splines and the clutch plate may need changing.

If you have a 4 speed rocket gearbox it is valuable as it is strong.

As the speedo comes out the rear end of the gearbox tit should be the same, you can use the same worm drive from the 4 speed but I expect the one in the 5 speed will be correct.

Advantages? what are you doing? Racing or toiuring like the most of us? Possibly race a 4 speed and tour a 5 speed.

Alan

I :wub: my :rhsc:

Guest The Modfather

There are numerous differences to these boxes, as I was looking at doing it. The 5 speed is longer as the 5th gear is housed in the longer tail section. You will need a shorter prop. There can also be probs with the amount of splines on the prop to gearbox connection. I believe that there are several 4 speeds that was fitted to, or could be fitted to the pinto. Check out the Burton Power Products website where they describe all the Ford gearboxes in great detail.

HTH's

Darren

EDIT due to Alan's above reply:

Alan, I was lead to believe that the 5 speed was longer as the 5th gear was in the tail unit, thus requiring a shorter prop. From memory, when you bought the kit car, they asked what box you were using so that gave you the correct prop. Not sure if that was because of the different spline count, or the length?

Guest jamespacker

cheers for the info guys,im only burning round my local B roads,not racing or doing any big tours.so by the sounds of things,i'll stick with the 4 speed for the moment.thanks for the info

I changed my 4 speed type E rocket box for a type 9 with no problems apart from the the gearbox mount being a few inches further back , the splines being the same and the prop fitted correctly too, quite an easy job. Both boxes us a 1"x23 splined input shaft.

Mike

Guest Alan_builder
There are numerous differences to these boxes, as I was looking at doing it. The 5 speed is longer as the 5th gear is housed in the longer tail section. You will need a shorter prop. There can also be probs with the amount of splines on the prop to gearbox connection. I believe that there are several 4 speeds that was fitted to, or could be fitted to the pinto. Check out the Burton Power Products website where they describe all the Ford gearboxes in great detail.

HTH's

Darren

EDIT due to Alan's above reply:

Alan, I was lead to believe that the 5 speed was longer as the 5th gear was in the tail unit, thus requiring a shorter prop. From memory, when you bought the kit car, they asked what box you were using so that gave you the correct prop. Not sure if that was because of the different spline count, or the length?

Hi Daren & Mike

I have only changed 1 4 speed to 5 speed while upgrading the engine from 1.6 to 2.0L.

The splines were wrong not the length of the prop shaft. We had to take the front UJ to spline lump off of my broken prop as the splines were wrong.

Clutch plate. What clutch is fitted? Unfortunately you won't see prior to strip down. As you say Daren the 4 speed comes with different input shafts, long and standard length and 2 sizes and I have changed them in the past so don't get fooled.

The gearbox is longer just, the Robin Hood propshaft / gearbox tailshaft will take up the difference in length but not the splines - I was not told about the splines!!!!!!! Poor b***** was going back to Holland and prop wrong splines. One Sunday panic.

I :wub: my :rhsc:

Guest RichardO

If the 4 speed is a type 3 then...

As already said the gearbox mounting is in a slightly different place (cannot remember if it is further forward or backward), the output shaft number of splines and diameter are different (I just got a new prop). The flywheel & clutch might still be the 7.5" ones, I upgraded to the Sierra 8" one.

They are pretty close to being the same length, although the type 9 every so slightly longer.

The advantages are that you get the 5th gear, but the disadvantage is a shorter 1st. Have a search on the forums this has been asked before.

Rich...