Pinto 2 Litre Cams

Guest LukieZ

i'm looking at a 2 litre camshaft for sale and would like a little help understanding the difference between the transit/p100 and standard sierra one - i know the p100 one is crap for power (economy?) and standard improves on a 1.6 cam (more overlap).

looking to upgrade my 1.6 pinto, so anyone know the part No. or other way to pick out the standard cams? whats the gains to be had?

Luke

Can't tell you how to I.D. the cams but the difference is the overlap duration and i think the lobe angles, that is how far apart the inlet to exhaust lobes are angled apart.

I have however done a lot of research on cams for the Pinto.

If you fit the standard 2.0L cam to the 1.6 you get the equivelant of the 1600 GT.

1.6 engine is more suseptable to overlap than the larger engines so more cam will give a more cammy effect i.e you can't go to wild before it becomes a pain on the road.

You will need cam and followers from the cam kit, if it comes with springs you must check that the spings don't coil bind at full lift as the 1.6 valves are a different length to the 2.0L ones.

Check your cam bearings, these are usually worn on a high milage Pinto

You will probably need to take the head off to fit the cam so a bit more compression would help, you could source a thiner head gasket but i don't know if they do a 1.6 Felpro, a 2.0 Felpro will fit but you loose some compression with the bigger diameter bore hole.

Don't underestimate the costs of what seems a simple mod, if you price it up you may well find that you can afford to fit a 2.0L engine for the same cost

Guest mower man

Not wishing to hijack the thread but snapperpaul you obviously know agoodly bit about cams what would you advise for a2.1 with std head [skimmed 0.75mm] 4/2/1 ex man +38dgas ? answer eagerly awaited mower man ;) :good: :clapping:

• 1 month later...
Guest scudoman
i'm looking at a 2 litre camshaft for sale and would like a little help understanding the difference between the transit/p100 and standard sierra one - i know the p100 one is crap for power (economy?) and standard improves on a 1.6 cam (more overlap).

looking to upgrade my 1.6 pinto, so anyone know the part No. or other way to pick out the standard cams? whats the gains to be had?

Luke

I've just put a new standard camshaft and followers into my 2 litre Pinto and it only cost £89 inc. vat!

I didn't need to take take the head off either, I just cut an open box in the bulk head which gave me enough backward movement to get the camshaft out .... took about an hour!! :rolleyes:

Edited by paintman