Ex01 Exhaust Can

Guest AdrianH

Guest Techmage
I'm sorry but I thought you wanted to get it quieter !, a bike can may do this but it will possibly cut performace,because it has not got the capacity !.

Interesting I was pondering this very subject with myself only yesterday. I have several bike exhaust can's and was considering using one as a replacement for the rather ugle and apparently inefficient standard fair. The subject of capacity was the akward bit most of the cans are from either 750 or 900cc motorcycles and I was wondering how they would fair on a 2000cc engine. Now I know that a 2000cc engine is bigger but it only revs to 7000rpm ish (prob lower) where as the bike happily revs well over 13000rpm nearly twice as high so therefore (limited understanding bit here) it produces about the same amount of exhaust. Also the diameter of a standard Seirra exhaust pipe was fairly small in comparision with the one on the bike (recon the bikes is twice the size). Point is with my rather limited understanding of these things I couldn't make up my mind, but the idea of being able to swop the can in the same way I do for my bike (every year for MOT day) is somewhat appealing. Loud and grumbling for those short blats about and quite and restrained for the long runs. Would those with a better understanding of these things perhaps comment on my rather feeble reasoning.

I'm the first to admit I'm no Zorst expert so I might be being a bit silly here but why not remove the final inch with a grinder and rivet in an inner strip that will leave an end cap that can be removed and riveted back in?

Second point is if you have a 1L 175 BHP bike that's revving to 14k revs, surely it's bashing out more gas than a 2L engine at 6k revs? I'd say something like this is ideal.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Akrapovic-Motorbike-...=item23059c2263

Guest AdrianH

I have the same thoughts as techmade and knock on with revs and cylinder capacity. In fact asked on the locost website and had a few responses, not many but the seem to be using bike cans OK. as you say the standard exhaust on the sierra (1.8 CVH) type had three boxes, cheery bomb type, then larger version then last box where it went from one pipe through wadding and baffles to another pipe for the exit hole. Nice and quiet but still smaller bore around 40 ish mm I think.

It just opens up the field a bit more, gives more options. I guess I can always use my sound meter, that's what I got the thing for.

Adrian

Guest mower man

Aidrian , not wishing to up set you but you seem set on a bike can do it !all Ihave offered you is my personal experiences, go your own way regards mower man :) :good:

Aidrian, if you dont value your hearing then by all means fit a bike can, but remember the outlet will not be too far from you ear and after a short drive you head will be ringing i know as i have been there as have many others, even on a bike the can is further away, my Triumph has twin Burgess silencers and they are loud but atleast they are pointing away from the rider.

Mike

Guest AdrianH
Aidrian , not wishing to up set you but you seem set on a bike can do it !all Ihave offered you is my personal experiences, go your own way regards mower man :) :good:

:drinks:

You are not upsetting me, so don't worry about it, your not I know. I am going to try baffles first, If that fails and I can get a cheap bike can I will try that, if that fails, then I will go for a larger box, if it has to be made then fair enough. I just like getting opinions/observances to help guide which choices I make. I also like to gain knowledge/experience from others to either strengthen or dismiss my own beliefs. I am not dismissing your thoughts on the matter, just asking a wider audience for pro's and cons :unsure:

As said in my last post it gives more options not trying to have a go.

Adrian