Engine Mounts For Dolomite S7

Guest cheesewr

Guest cheesewr

Hi,

Does anyone have a photo or details of where the engine mounts sit in an original dolomite-based hood? Mine looks to have been partly chopped about, and depending on my eventual choice of engine, I may have to chop it about some more.

Thanks,

Tom

Guest trackerjack

A friend of mine built one of the very first Hoods but fitted a Ford crossflow instead of a sprint lump.

I was horrified to see that the original mounts were stainless and welded to the side of the bay.

Stainless loves to stress crack!

I would just lower the engine in and make up your own using good old mild steel.

I think modern Hoods are much better engineered than then (1992 ish).

Guest cheesewr
A friend of mine built one of the very first Hoods but fitted a Ford crossflow instead of a sprint lump.

I was horrified to see that the original mounts were stainless and welded to the side of the bay.

Stainless loves to stress crack!

I would just lower the engine in and make up your own using good old mild steel.

I think modern Hoods are much better engineered than then (1992 ish).

Wow - given the thickness of the steel in the early hoods like mine, that is truly terrifying.

My plan is to make up my own mounts (from mild steel) but I can't decide where to attach them on the monocoque/frame. Two will clearly be attached to the front crossmember at the bottom, but either of my two engine choices (I have a 1600 pinto and a 2.0l straight six that I'm currently choosing between) will need other mounts further back. Where to site those and what to hang them from is the issue.

Suggestions welcome!

Guest snowman

Hi, I have a dolomite based S7 which is nearly on the road (typical hoody comment). I live in Clitheroe, Lancashire

if you send me your contact details - you are welcome to come and have a look :D