Overheating/unleaded/timing

Guest zinzan

Hello All,

I'm running a 2 litre pinto in a series III, and given the roads I drive on, I've fitted an alloy sump and raised the engine on the mounts to give more clearance. The same time I did this, I switched over to unleaded (boooo). Since then the car is running very hot. I think this is is being caused by the timing not being adjusted correctly for unleaded fuel - the car does tend to spit and fart a bit now.....

Just wondering is there a quickfix to setting the timing when running unleaded..

Thanks!

Zinzan

If it's a later Pinto, there's an easy electronic way to change the timing setup. Mine came from a 1989 (F) Sierra donor and has the ESC-II (I think that's what it's called - I'll edit later if I'm wrong) electronic engine management module and all you have to do is earth a couple of extra wires to the bodywork (correct me if I'm wrong someone as this comes from the Haynes manual!).

As for other engines I haven't a clue, but Andy sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

nelly

If you raised the engine in the car did you allow the air to get out of the top of the cooling system?? It normally gets out of the head to the top of the radiator which should be higher than the cylinder head, an expansion tank if fitted then comes from the top of the rad.

May be slightly different but when I was running a leaded head,all ran well when using leaded fuel. But When I decided to run it on unleaded it overan a lot ie kept running when the ignition was turned off. after changing the timing to the correct setting this all stopped.

I always thought it was running too hot with the old timing settings.