Do The Drive Shafts Just Pull Out Of The Rear Diff

Guest pixie clarke

Guest pixie clarke

This may seem a silly question, but do the drive shafts Just pull out of the rear diff ?

I have brought a part built 2b and just stripping back and starting again I need to replace the gaiters

Cheers

Paul

Guest gixerboy600
This may seem a silly question, but do the drive shafts Just pull out of the rear diff ?

I have brought a part built 2b and just stripping back and starting again I need to replace the gaiters

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes they do!! Obviously you will need to dismantle the driven wheel side to enable it to do this.

Cheers

John

Some do and some don't. If it has drums then chances are they do. If it has discs it'll have the Lobro style shafts and you will see a row of torx or allen bolt heads around the driveshaft - if they are there you need to undo those at both ends and the shaft can be removed. There are a very small number of cars with drums and Lobro shafts (I've only ever seen one in the flesh and pictures of two others) These are the same as disc setups from the point of view of removing the drive-shafts. It's also possible to construct a mongrel driveshaft with the Lobro joint on one end and the push in joint on the other end (usually done to use a limited slip diff with drum brakes) - obviously in this case one end pushes in whilst the other un-bolts.

Iain

Guest pixie clarke

Thanks for that, i do have drums, so my next question should these be easy to pull out ? if so mind aren't.

Will i need to use a slide hammer?

Paul

Guest smartfazer

Providing you have undone/removed the drums, backplates and hubs from the trailing arm, then yes they should fairly easily just pull out.

Steve

Guest pixie clarke

Thanks for all your replies. Your help is much appreciated. I have attached a picture.

Unfortunately I will unable to try again until the weekend (work,) :(

Thanks for the link on e-bay I will be buying some of these

Peter thanks for the offer of help, I will try this weekend and if I’m still having trouble I will let you know and I make a mean cup of tea :D

Thanks again

Paul

post-4004-1268687942_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all your replies. Your help is much appreciated. I have attached a picture.

Unfortunately I will unable to try again until the weekend (work,) :(

Thanks for the link on e-bay I will be buying some of these

Peter thanks for the offer of help, I will try this weekend and if I’m still having trouble I will let you know and I make a mean cup of tea :D

Thanks again

Paul

post-4004-1268687942_thumb.jpg

Double check with the guy to get the right ones for your car,