Zetec

Guest gdc

so after spending nearly 5 weeks trying to get this zetec to fire we gave up the will to live .

dave (dinger )came over this morning and went through the wiring , this is the same wiring that has been redone and rechecked several times .

he said after 5 hours of checks and tests the wiring is fine .

but it still dont fire.

dave works for rac and is ford trained .dave thanks mate .

eventually after using dans car to prove the system works by wiring his crank sensor to the new car we had a spark .

so why no spark on the new car .

we all looked again at the differences , the only difference was that the new car engines crank sensor goes in straight to the rear of the block , the st and the silver top go in at an angle to the block , the holes in the flywheel are not alligned to the hole in the block of new car the holes are out by about half a dia , so the crank sensor ant seeing the hole .

so isnt firing .

so my question is could this engine have come out of an auto ?

bearing in mind the flywheel would have given way to a flex plate , and as such needed a different configuration .

we are at this time fitting a toothed wheel to the front pully and crank sensor to a bracket to trigger the spark .

so please you thoughts ,

thanks to dave (dinger) kev (qwerty )dan (dan dan )

graham

ps this might be a lesson learnt

I have read somewhere reciently about the same problem, with someone who replaced his manual zetec with one out of an auto and had the same problems as you , the crank sensor housings are at different angles if i remember correctly, its been a while so i could me mistaken. HTH

Mike

just trying to give info re this prob .

as i bought the engine from a scrap yard i asked for a 2.0 zetec , it was supplied , it is a 2.0 zetec

but if there is a difference in the block or the housing for the crank pos sensor then we all have to be carefull

what we buy .

not sure that henry would have produced a different block for an auto .

mayby the block is altered after production to accept the auto .

we cant see an adaption to the block , it appeares to be as standard ie its a casting

i cant face taking out the engine to try to sort it out , so we are trying to fit a trigger wheel to the main front pulley .

but the difference is there ie straight for what we think is the auto and at an angle towards the centre of the flywheel for the manual .

graham

I have tried to find the original post on this topic but to no avail, it was his blown zetec engine that he replaced with one from a scrappy , he just changed the sensor housing as i remember, but having not seen one i dont really know anything further.

His answer was found on LCB a few months ago.

I will see if i can find that post.

Mike

cheers mike

that would be great if the housing could be retrofitted ,

only thing is it appears as part of the main body of the engine .

i realy want to be wrong though .

graham

fitting a toothed wheel to the front pully and crank sensor to a bracket to trigger the spark

that would be great if the housing could be retrofitted ,

Good news and bad news. I can confirm that the housing for the auto is different to the housing for the manual. But there is no difference in the blocks. You can go the route of trigger wheel on the front pulley or fit a manual housing into the block. (I've got one in the shed!)

Unfortunately although the sensor is just a torx bolt and a pull out from the front, the housing is a torx bolt and lump of ally that pulls out from the flywheel face of the block. So you have to take the engine out, remove the flywheel and clutch, undo one bolt to pull out the auto housing, stick in a manual one and put it all back together again.

Nigel

Guest dinger

Graham,

It was my pleasure popping over, gave me a bit of a refresher course aswell as we dont normally see diagnostistic work of that scale,

I got home and searched the tinternet and found this which may be helpfull to some,

HALF WAY DONW THE PAGE IS THE ANSWER

Just a shame I didnt have enough time to actually see the engine running.

Cheers and thanks for the never ending cups of tea Dan

Dave

Just been hunting for the bits and can't find them at the moment. So no photos. So apart from saying if you buy a zetec out of an automatic, change the CPS and CPS housing for one from a manual before you fit the flywheel and marry the engine up to the gearbox.

Beyond that there's not much to say, apart from %$$@@*&&^ and £{@#? if you forget to do it.

Nigel

cheers guys thanks for the replies

it seems that there is an insert that needs to be retrofitted

nigel please let me know the cost rqd to get it to me , if its a spare you have .

dave glad you enjoyed the tea .and thanks it realy helped .

i think i would rather pull the engine and change the sensor housing , the trigger wheel on the front is an ok idea but appears a bit vunerable .

again thanks guys ,

nigel over to you ?

graham