Stainless Chassis And Stamping Chassis Numbers

Guest loopyonion

Guest loopyonion

One final job left, stamping the chassis number. I have some 5mm toughened stamps to create my 17 character vin, and I have some questions before I set too..

One set of characters on the bulkhead on an additional plate, and one on the drivers side engine compartment?

Also, I have tried a few test stamps in the boot area, and even with my 5mm stamps, they seem to just centre punch a dent. I will have to try a double thickness area of stainless to test, or maybe I have to either heat the surface up, or to find another method like sandblasting or etching?

What have other stainless chassis owners done?

Guest youngsterS3

for SVA, I got away with a cheap set of 3mm stamps... just hit pretty hard and it was fine.. it is difficult to stay in a straight line! so I would draw a line and follow it, if I were to do it again.

this was on a series 3 stainless monocoque.

maybe the S7 is a bit softer and thus the problem...

Guest Alan_builder
One final job left, stamping the chassis number. I have some 5mm toughened stamps to create my 17 character vin, and I have some questions before I set too..

One set of characters on the bulkhead on an additional plate, and one on the drivers side engine compartment?

Also, I have tried a few test stamps in the boot area, and even with my 5mm stamps, they seem to just centre punch a dent. I will have to try a double thickness area of stainless to test, or maybe I have to either heat the surface up, or to find another method like sandblasting or etching?

What have other stainless chassis owners done?

I used stamps on my 2B chassis for SVA. Nor sure what size but I think 4mm.

Tyr not hitting the stamp so hard if the area is denting in. Also try near a weld.

I :wub: my :rhsc:

When punching, you must ensure that the chassis can't move at all on the suspension or tyres. It must be hard grounded to the floor. Ideally put an axle stand directly below then part of the chassis that you're trying to punch, get a helper to hold the stamp with pliers and then hit very hard with a minimum of a flogging hammer!!! Stainless is hard and needs to be hit very hard to leave an impression.

Tried stamping my stainless but just bounced off. Stamped a stainless off cut on the bench and riveted it to the chassis. Was not questioned at SVA. Doubting it would pass at DVLA office, I heated it up with a butane torch (plumbers aerosol type) and ran a bead of silver solder around the edges. Passed as permanent fixture no problem at DVLA. PS: the stainless was glowing red before the silver solder would run!!

Guest robinj66

I id something similar - stamped the number nto a piece of metal and them welded that the chassis. Passed SVA ok. You need to ensure the number is on the nearside (?) for the IVA

Guest julien
I id something similar - stamped the number nto a piece of metal and them welded that the chassis. Passed SVA ok. You need to ensure the number is on the nearside (?) for the IVA

...thought it had to be o/s ...

Guest Larson250

Hi,

Below is the direct lift from the IVA manual.

18 Statutory Plates

Application: All Vehicles

Method of Inspection

Required Standard

All vehicles must be provided with a manufacturer’s plate.

Note 1: The manufacturer may give additional information below or to the side of the prescribed inscriptions, outside a clearly marked rectangle which shall enclose only the required information.

Note 2: Where a vehicle is “mass produced” it is acceptable for the information on the plate to be on separate plates provided that the plates are fitted as close as possible to each other in a clearly visible position and every plate is marked with the vehicle identification number.

Note 3: Every plate fitted must display the same VIN as displayed on the chassis

Note 4: In the case of Mass-produced vehicles, if originally applied by the manufacturer it may be less than 17 but no less than 8 digits.

Note 5: For Mass produced North American Vehicle approved with either FMVSS or CMVSS no stamped in VIN is required, a visible VIN seen through the windscreen will be acceptable,

Note 6: For mass produced vehicles any location is accepted if originally applied by the manufacturer

The vehicle must be fitted with a manufacturer’s plate, in a conspicuous and readily accessible position.

The manufacturer’s plate must be made of a durable material.

The manufacturer’s plate must be indelibly marked with the manufacturer’s name and the vehicle identification number.

The manufacturer’s plate must be fitted to a part of the vehicle that will not be replaced through normal use.

The Stamped in VIN must be marked on the chassis, frame or other similar structure on the right hand side of the vehicle. (see note 5 & 6)6.

The Stamped in VIN must be placed in a clearly visible and accessible position by a method such as hammering or stamping so that it can not be obliterated or deteriorate.

The VIN number must consist of 17 digits (except for mass-produced vehicles see note 4)

The information must be shown in a single line. (in the case of a mass produced vehicle the use of two lines is permissible)

Capital letters and numerals must be used for the manufacturer’s name and VIN

Statutory Plates 18

10. There must not be any gaps large enough to insert extra characters between the characters for the VIN shown on the manufacturer’s plate or stamped into the vehicle.

Other than in the case of a Mass Produced vehicle the characters on the manufacturer’s plate must be at least 4mm high.

The characters used for the VIN stamped into the chassis, frame or other similar structure must be at least 7mm high. This does not apply in the case of a "Visible VIN" provided on a Mass Produced vehicle

Hope this helps,

Dean

I have based my info on the IVA manual section 18 revision 3 DATE:26/09/2009.

Other than in the case of a Mass Produced vehicle the characters on the manufacturer’s plate must be at least 3.5mm high.

The characters used for the VIN stamped into the chassis, frame or other similar structure must be at least 3.5mm high.

Several of the sections have had revisions so its always best to use the IVA manual from

http://online.businesslink.gov.uk/Transpor...__Version_4.pdf

hope this helps

Hi

i made a nice alu plate which i riveted into the bulkhead which wasn't good enough as it could be easily removed so i had to add an extra one. i tried to stamp my chassis but found the same problems as above it just made a mess of my nice powder coat (thankfully i tried in a hidden area). So ended up punching some stainless and welding it to the drivers side floor under the carpet. Got my local garage to stamp a form to say it had been done and submitted it to the dvla without a prob. although this was when it was SVA so may be a little more strict now. Although does seem to say as long as its not an easily removable part so i guess the floor pan counts.

i seemed to have a relatively easy time as i also got away with my own vin number.

hth

Guest robinj66
...thought it had to be o/s ...

I'm not sure - I was told at the SVA but I have now forgotten . I assumed N/S so that it could be inspected at the roadside without the examiner having to stand in traffic