Boot Floor Alternative Materials

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

any one ever made their boot floor out of anything aside from metal/plywood? i only ask because i dont have the tools to cut metal, so i was thinking there must be a fairly strong and thin plastic out there that could easily be cut, and also will be hell of a lot cheeper than sheet metal which is pretty pricy at the moment! any ideas?

Guest loopyonion

Have you looked at a sign making material called correx? It's a corrugated plastic. I have used it for my under dash, panels, dashboard. Bloody strong, and by doubling the thickness by bonding two pieces together, at 90 degree grains to each other awesome! ..used it for mounting switch panels

it's waterproof, and works with a spray adhesive for vynal covering.

It's about 20 quid for a 4x8 ft sheet approx. Also trims with scissors and a Stanley knife.

any one ever made their boot floor out of anything aside from metal/plywood? i only ask because i dont have the tools to cut metal, so i was thinking there must be a fairly strong and thin plastic out there that could easily be cut, and also will be hell of a lot cheeper than sheet metal which is pretty pricy at the moment! any ideas?

Where are you, I may have all sorts of off cuts you can have, only my opinion but correx is corrugated so is rigid in one direction but not the other.

Foam-ex would be a better choice, will bond with most silicones, PE, adhesives, PM me if you want to chat about "plastics" I have had a plastic fabrication firm for over 10 year.

Steve

Guest loopyonion
Where are you, I may have all sorts of off cuts you can have, only my opinion but correx is corrugated so is rigid in one direction but not the other.

Foam-ex would be a better choice, will bond with most silicones, PE, adhesives, PM me if you want to chat about "plastics" I have had a plastic fabrication firm for over 10 year.

Steve

True good sir, it is only rigid in one way, thats why I used it, with the directions of reinforcement at 90 degrees to make a sandwich.

This meant that some panels can be manipulated into place ie under dash panels, but the stiffer parts i could double layers. Got the idea from my Nissan Skyline 300hp VQ35 I had. The entire boot floor area was made of the stuff... And they used polystyrene blocks to stiffen in key areas. (thats when the lightbulb lit up above my head :) )

I am interested in this foam-ex stuff.. have you got a link?

Cheers

Steve.

It goes by a few trade names but if you Google foamex you will get a few hit's. 3mm 8 x 4 sheet is about £12 - 15 + vat Trade (correx £ 5-00)

For a boot I would think 6mm (with supports would be fine) and it does not rot / absorb moisture.

Steve

Guest mcramsay

im sold for correx i think! will save a bit of weight and if it can be cut with scissors then thats even bloody better! any one got a decent link to get some?

im sold for correx i think! will save a bit of weight and if it can be cut with scissors then thats even bloody better! any one got a decent link to get some?

Try your local printers / sign makers if they don't have any they will be able to tell you where to get it locally, where are you? there might be a trade counter near you for the likes of Amari plastics or Robert horne.

Just spoke to Amari and they would sell an 8 X 4 x 4mm sheet to the public for about £7-00 + vat

Branch locater here

http://www.amariplastics.com/amari/contact/

HTH Steve

Just one other point, correx is polypropylene and does not like Glue (it will bond but only by surface tension) so structural joints will also need to be mechanically fixed

Guest loopyonion

For the corner joints I used those little push pins like you get on car interiors. The outer is the rivet, then the centre pin pushes into the hole to tighten.. Sorry I don't know the name of them exactly, I coupled these with an impact adhesive. Only time will tell if it's going to hold! Been 3 months since I did mine, but it's not seen much road use and sun yet;)

any one ever made their boot floor out of anything aside from metal/plywood?

Hi,

My boot is made out of plastic tarpaulin material (to be exact it’s a boot liner from Lidl :)) formed to make a big plastic bag with the ‘mouth’ fitted (Velcro) to a frame under the stainless boot-lid. Car carpet forms the cushion between the bag and the top of the tank. There is a separate metal cover over the vulnerable bits like the electrical connectors and the fuel pipe connectors.

I went for this idea because the area above and around the tank is uneven and I wanted to maximise the volume to put things so I thought the boot container needed to be flexible so it could expand to fit the space available.

If anyone is interested (I’ll be amazed if anyone is) I have a picture but not here (I’m at work).

I don’t know what the IVA persons will make of it :unknw: .

John (jwts).

Guest rhetorical-oracle

I made mine in true Hoodie style from glassfibre & chicken wire!

I even used a couple of 5 Ltr screenwash bottles as moulds to make side pods to fit either side of the petrol tank for added storage, and to stop tools and bit sliding from side to side in a flat boot.

Phill.

IMG_0005.jpg

I made mine in true Hoodie style from glassfibre & chicken wire!

I even used a couple of 5 Ltr screenwash bottles as moulds to make side pods to fit either side of the petrol tank for added storage, and to stop tools and bit sliding from side to side in a flat boot.

Phill.

Phill,

This is the super deluxe version of my boot-bag idea. I too wanted to use those spaces each side of the tank by creating what I call 'saddle-bags' :).

John (jwts).

Guest Larson250

I used black Foamex for the lining of my boot.

It lasted about 10 mins on a sunny day before warping beyond recognition.

A complete waste of money don't bother.

Dean

Guest woolly

when i first saw this correx idea i was a bit worried as i use it at work, and would not think of using it for a floor.

ideas for you.

to make box shapes don't cut right through only cut one side and fold, makes the corner stronger. double strength for a floor with a 2nd sheet flutes other way round.

there are some special knifes made for correx, but lost mine.

anybody plymouth area wants some ask.

woolly