Sliding Pillars

Guest shopsmith

Guest shopsmith

Hi, can anyone advise me on what might be causing a rubbing sound when taking right hand turns. You can see if you look at the photo (please click on the link) that there has been some damage to the cycle wings in the past. This may have been caused by the suspension pivoting on the bracket. I bought the car like this. I have made a crude temp repair with some cable ties to keep the metal parts away from the wheel on both sides. I have only noticed the rubbing sound when I carry a passenger. I think there is some discolouration on the inside wall of the tyre which is likely to have been caused by the rubbing. To be honest I am not impressed with this sliding pillar arrangement and will need to think about modifying it or changing it completely.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Martin.

rh2bsus1.jpg

http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/yy351/s...nt=rh2bsus1.jpg

Guest Ian & Carole

Common fault with the pillar is the lower pillar mounting bolt rubs on the inner of the road wheel if no bump stop has been fitted.

A quick look at the inside of your wheel and you will see if this is the case.

A wishbone conversion is the way to go if you can afford it, although a well sorted Pillar is usable, mine lasted 2 summers before it got the chop.

Guest shopsmith

Thanks Just taken a look and the inside of the wheel is clear of any marks. There is just less than one of my fingers clearance between the tyre and the damper spring. Could it be possible that the tyre is fouling the spring? I would't have thought that there should be that much movement, but I'm no expert.....

Guest craig030774

from the photo it looks as if the top shocker mounting plate has moved and the shocker is no longer in line with the spring . i had this happen just remove top of shocker and turn it back and re fit shocker.

do you have wheel spacers i put 5mm ones on and longer wheel studs

Guest craig030774

the bracket that holds the cycle wing tube is not beefy enough so i cut mine off after stripping down the pillar assembly and made them out of 6 mm mild steel and bent at right angles as per 3mm that rh use . i then welded all in place and wings dont flap about any more .

also check top bearing as video shows a bit of pipe sitting on top of it witch will crack the bearing over time . i made some stainless spacers to spread the load evenly over the whole surface of the bearing

craig

Guest mark kingston

it is also possible for the bottom suspension arm lollipop to rub on the brake disk as the susspension moves if the lollipop has not been trimmed back enough.

i have had a sliding pillar set up on my car for 9 years and after taking a lot of care assembling the system when i built the car i have had no problems since.

The cycle wing bracket was also a common problem in the early backets as the welds cracked due to the assembly vibrating. the solution was to weld in a couple of webs and re weld the cracked weld and it is then good. i did this on mine when i built it and it has been fine.

regards

mark

Guest shopsmith

Thanks for the info. I will certainly have to get the brackets on the cycle wings strenghtened. As for the rubbing sound, I will take a look at what you have suggested and let you know.

Thanks

Martin