Mx5

Guest sritony

Guest sritony

Well i have decided to stay out the kit car world and go for MX5 mainly due to lack of funds but I am missing the excitment feel etc of a kit car

Whats peoples experience of these? is there much noticable diff between the 1.6 and 1.8?

Tony

Guest loopyonion

Buy a jap import, you should be able to get a 1800cc mk1 quite cheap. Awesome cars, amazing handling. I found it to have a fair bit of chassis flex front to rear. Hardtops eliminate this.

The uk models are rusty on early plates. The jap spec eunos is better, plus you get aircon.

Turbo kits of eBay fit well, and good power too.

The mk2 bigger inside, softer, more luxury, and softer on the road.

The later mk2's are six speed higher power, good trim. And have a vtec type system.

Mk1's all the way! Ah, the imports tend to have a few hidden extras, strutbraces and adjustable coilovers. Decats as well ;)

Guest loopyonion

And the difference between the 1600cc and 1800cc? Yes you will notice. Get the 1800cc if you can stretch to it.

The 1600cc is not really powerful enough to get you in trouble, but not quite enough to get you out of it, if you need to!

The 1800cc is more torquey, nicely balanced power, better option.

Guest Hell on Wheels

I drive a Mk2, 1600 engine. It is great fun but if I had the choice I would go for the bigger engine. It is slightly underpowered. I test drove an 1800 Mk1 but preferred the 1600 Mk2. I don't have a hard top for the car, don't think I would use it since even in the winter it is good to get the roof down, although if it is chilly the roof fabric doesn't bend very easily and needs some help pushing it down. I have had mine now for about 4 years and love it.

Helen

Guest chris brown

I have a Mk1 1800 Eunos (import) which I use mainly as my winter car. Great little car 130 BHP and 7000 rpm and a easy gear change makes it good fun but steering gets very light over 100 mph and it is tail happy in the wet more so than the Hood because it is shorter. The 1800 has extra bracing making it reasonably stiff and some have LSD.