Pinto Ignition

Thrashed

Hi All

I am after some help. :unknw: I have looked at previous threads and can see that the general opinion is that a Ford EEC iv can be used from running the ignition on bike carbs.

My questions are:

1 - I have a dizzy that has a plug on the side. I assume this is a Hall effect dizzy!?

2 - I will need some sort of wiring harness to connect the dizzy to the eec iv. What sort or loom and best place to get it please.

3 - The engine is have is a Nov 1987 205 block pinto (inj) the eec iv seems to come in 2 sizes. small and big. from the reaseach i have done it looks like a small one is what i need.

Any help, guidance, diagrams or photo's would be great.

Thanks

Steve

Guest craig030774

all dizzy's have a plug on the side if it is the hall effect it will have 3 .if it has two then you will have an ignition amplifier as well with about 7 wires to it. these are the most simple and is what i have used with my bike carbs and 205 block

works a treat

all dizzy's have a plug on the side if it is the hall effect it will have 3 .if it has two then you will have an ignition amplifier as well with about 7 wires to it. these are the most simple and is what i have used with my bike carbs and 205 block

works a treat

Hi Craig. I will take a closer look tonight. The dizzy plug block has a number of pins inside, is this what you mean by either 3 or 7.

Can you discribe in an idiots guide how the parts connect,eg. dizzy has 3 wires to eec iv etc. Which eec iv did you use? the big one or the little one. According to the haynes manual i should be using the small one.

Most things make sense to me but this ignition stuff is hard work!

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Hi Steve

when I installed my engine i fitted the full fuel injection system (which would not fit in the end)

So I had fitted the engine wiring loom from the sierra so all the wires and plugs were there.

All I did was remove the injection plenum and fit a gbs bike carb manifold and carbs (kit from GBS)

I then connected the throttle position sensor (TPS) from the sierra loom to the bike carbs and everything worked timing wise.

The EEC iv is the engine management computer which would have been behind the dash in the sierra it has a large multiplug which bolts to the unit (many many wires from all systems)

There is a small black box called the TFI unit, mine has a alloy heat sink and Motorcraft embossed on the front. This is the ignition amplifier and connects to the dizzy via a long wire and also to the EECiv. This unit in the sierra was mounted to the front inner wing (can't remember which side).

The injection hall effect dizzy has a sensor and vanes inside instead of points and has no vacuum advance on the outside. I read that the test is to try to turn the shaft if it does not turn then there is no advance mechanism on the dizzy and its the later type.

Ignition advance is controlled by the EEC iv and uses a signal from the dizzy tps and other sensors which you will no longer have, the computer calculates the advance and triggers the tfi and a spark is produced.

I have read (but this has been contradicted elsewhere) that the limp home mode for the engine is provided by the TFI unit and gives 10 degrees static advance if the EEC iv is faulty (or absent).

I think the big box of which you speak is the eec iv and the smaller the TFI. For an advance curve you'll need both and if you dont have the engine wiring loom from the sierra you'll need one (IMO).

I think the tfi unit connected to the dizzy but not EEC iv will run your engine in limp home mode with a static advance of 10 degrees (but others may disagree).

The alternatives I looked at are

1. Mega jolt and edis

2. Electronic ignition from a carbed sierra (hens teeth and lots of money on ebay)

3. Bestek system.

Hope this helps

Andrew.

Guest Dan_Beeston

I think the Sierra injection system needs both the EEC-IV and the TFI module to work, the TFI module just being an ignition amplifier to drive the coil. That being said, the hall effect trigger inside the dizzy does connect to both the TFI module and the EEC-IV so I could be wrong........

I know the EDIS system gives you 10deg static if it loses signal with the ECU.

If it helps my ignition is now EDIS and Megasquirt controlled, and is much more stable than when I used the dizzy..........

Hi

Thanks for the assist. Looks like the easiest option is going to be bestek as all parts included and easy to install.

Thanks again

Steve

I have bestek its great + feed to the coil chassis ground and your away my car runs really well with it. set the timing to between 10 and 12 deg at tickover for best results. mines been on there a year now and no problems

any advice just ask