Gt40(ish) Replica Kit For Sale

Joel

***FOR SALE***

This is relucatant as I had big plans, but I think it's time to accept I'm never going to make a start on this one. So.....

It's a FT Bonito, which is a Volkswagon Beetle based kit, loosely in the style of a Ford GT40. The big-sell is that it's tax exempt and potentially IVA exempt too. I say potentially as it's a bit of a grey area, and the rules seem to change regularly, but essentially it's the same principal as those Ferrari/MR2 body conversions where the chassis and mechanicals are retained, and the basic identity of the vehicle remains the same.

So, it could be a cheap and interesting project for someone.

As mentioned already, the kit uses an unmodified Beetle chassis. In this case a tax-exempt J-reg 1971 1300 Beetle, which I have the V5 for and is currently on SORN. It looks to be in fairly good shape, and by all accounts has been dry stored for most of the kits life. The one major component missing though is an engine, but the gearbox is there.

On top of the chassis sits the one piece fibre glass tub, which as mentioned is loosely inspired by the Ford GT40, although only really on the fornt nose cone. If you consider it in it's own right, it's actually quite a nice design, and particularly from the rear 3/4 looks like a 70's muscle car with those big flared arches.

The kit dates from 1983, and was sold by a company called AED international in Torpoint, Cornwall. I have quite a comprehensive folder of paperwork and invoices from the original owner. As I understand it, he kept the car at his place of work for all those years, until finally for whatever reason he had to move it and had nowhere else to store it so it had to go. It then passed through a couple of hands more recently before ending up with me. The previous owner had a fairly comprehensive roll cage fitted, had the front and rear windscreens installed and a few other service items like a new gearbox mount.

I have boxes of parts to complete the kit, and various internal body panels, window winders etc. Front and rear lights are there. The doors are hung. The wheels are Wolfrace 15x6 slot mags, and are essentially unused despite the age of the car. A good polish and they'd be as-new. The tyres also are basically unworn as they've never really been used, but unfortunately are showing signs of perishing.

So, any takers for an interesting and very rare tax-free and IVA exempt kit car? B)

***£750*** (buyer collects).

...editted to make the price more obvious.

Guest Dan_Beeston

Boooooo!!!

If I bought a share in it would it actually spur you on to get it built? (After you've finished my kitchen doors, or course!) :-p

Boooooo!!!

If I bought a share in it would it actually spur you on to get it built? (After you've finished my kitchen doors, or course!) :-p

Well you're more than welcome to buy a share in it, assuming no one else wants it of course (did I mention it's tax and IVA exempt people?? :D ), but it's not really a case of needing spurring-on. I'm fully spurred. I just don't have the time or money to do to it what I'd like to do, and before you make a witty comment about me having all the time in the world, if that were true you'd have your kitchen doors by now :p

• 1 month later...